The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a number of lentil buyers in the area, and they are all recommending not to use glyphosate on lentils for preharvest, they are saying that there is no restriction on trade at present but they are all worried about it.

Anybody hearing this and what are you doing, I was going to hit some with glyphos soon due to weed pressure, but I am now thinking about waiting it out and going with reglone. what are others doing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was in the same boat. I decided that since I still have some in the bin that have been sprayed with glyphosate already that I would do it one last time. What I've heard from buyers is that they don't want to have to back on their word if something happens in a few months, thus creating animosity with clients they had told it would be fine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
did all reglone this year. on a section its doable though. I don't know how you do that on large acreage - lots of water, at night, when lots of other stuff on the go??????
have heard through the grapevine that some randomly tested samples were coming back over the allowed MRL even when done at correct rate and staging. to be honest until a few years ago staging lentils was more to prevent yield damage than prevent chemical uptake!!!! by the time the entire field is at a level of maturity that no plants are pulling in glyphosate, most are so ripe that the gly would not have adequate time to dry weeds down anyways

too bad we are ultimately going to loose it, was sure a good way to get some perennial weed control and to knock out the low spots!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah this glyphosate thing it’s the $hits. But if you spray reglone or a dry down product it will be about 5-6$ more than glyphosate. Than you know you can sell your crop with no hassle. And your in the field in 3-5 days. Glyphosate 10-14 days. Getting in the field 5 days sooner means alot to me. But it’s not ideal so spray late evening and into the night and 15 gallons acre

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Spraying reglone sucks, we have had many nights of it over the years. But usually not combining anything else at the time. I have found with the glyphosate usually hurts grade a bit anyway, but a nice tool to have to control certain weeds.
If selling right away I would not be scared to use it, but if your going to store them, who knows what can change in the market place.
Here is to hoping we don’t ever loose reglone !

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did 1/3 with reglone, it’s ready after 3 days. The stuff I sprayed with heat is full of green spots (10 days later) did the 40 acre rate at 10 gallons water

·
Registered
881 Posts
The problem I have with Reglone is it dries the top of the plant quick. After a week the stems of the plant still greenish. Those green stems can cause ****. Stalled many knives with them.
Reglone does not do enough on kochia.

If we lose gly as a preharvest weed control, I may be done growing lentils.
I have heard of swathing lentils, but down here with the 40 k wind today, I'm guessing lentils would not stay put very long.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I never heard of too many swaths blowing around..... sprouting has always been the big issue with swathing.

don't know whether its just conditions or the fact that I finally quit cutting corners but started combining lentils this afternoon and going through the combine better than regloned lentils have for a long long time.... high rate reglone, 2X surfactant, 17 gal water, sprayed at night, waited an extra couple days bf starting........

·
Registered
975 Posts
If glyphosate gets totally banned for use in lentils, just watch the lentil acres get cut.
How will you be able to keep up with Reglone if you have big acres to desicate? You only have so many hrs at night to hit them, takes big water volume, which in turn more fills.
You could have days where’s its 30 that last a while all of a sudden they are turning on their own, but the weeds are still green. This isn’t good!!
With the price they are at today that extra cost of Reglone means we need an extra bu or more just to pay that. Very sad times ahead I hate to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts