The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 0.75 litres REL per acre sufficient for a spring burnoff? I've been spraying 1 to 1.5 litres per acre the last few years, but that was when glyphosate was $3.00 per REL. I could double spray areas with foxtail barley.

I'm in SW Manitoba.

Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
.75 is not high enough for foxtail barley but probably higher then it needs to be for most other things. It might be cheaper this year to lower your glyphosate rate and add in something else on fields with foxtail

·
Registered
891 Posts
In good growing conditions you need less roundup to kill the same weed. AMS plus some dawn soap helps too.

Foxtail is tough to kill in the early spring without steel. Could add in some assure 2 for the fields with foxtail pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Ever consider adding clethodim or Quizalofop for fox tail barley? Maybe not every where but on bad fields or spots. I have done it a few times and did it everywhere with my weed it this spring. Works great on grasses. Then can keep RT-3 rates down a bit. My rule of thumb is if 24oz/acre RT-3 won't kill the weed add something that will. Never been suggested that, just decided it myself. 24oz/acre is just under 0.75liters/acre. Foxtail is tough to kill down to the roots so it doesn't come back. Those 2 chemicals or iron have done the best job for me.

Then I just noticed slashnburn2 mentioned similar.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Oh that foxtail barley is some nasty stuff.
If it isn't everywhere and in patches hit the patches twice and spray the rof at a lower rate.
LI700 or co op surfactant same exact stuff and seems to help some.
Ammonium sulfate I have tried that too but didn't have the greatest success with it on the foxtail.
I'm going to tillage the problem patches of that foxtail had enough of expensive spray that only wounds it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts