The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

just wondering as to what farmers in other countries are paying for GM Canola seed. We are going to stop growing it as it costs us AUD$460/ha to grow it.

Our seed to buy costs just under AUD$31,000/tonne. and the price we get when selling is currently AUD$452/tonne

just a curious question. cheers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
G'day hillcrest. My first year growing rr canola this year and having just down the sums I've found after the extra cost of the seed the tt canola came out the same amount more in chemical costs compared to the rr canola. So it's worked out almost the same cost /ha. And much to my sceptical surprise the control of rye and radish is way better in the rr canola then the tt canola in paddocks side by side.(Just don't let them hear that) will wait see how the yields compare but looks promising. What are u comparing the rr canola to for pricing?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Never really did the math on this before (didn't really want to know) but we buy the seed at $600+ a bu and sell our seed for $9. Awesome deal for them. 6000% markup

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Never really did the math on this before (didn't really want to know) but we buy the seed at $600+ a bu and sell our seed for $9. Awesome deal for them. 6000% markup
Then don't buy it. Its not extortion, its serious market demand by farmers who buy the most expensive seed by October 1st - and its sold out! Doesn't sound like extortion at all.

Guys are putting 200 lbs of N down, when they should be putting 80 or 90. Grow more more more - at any cost.

Tell me again where the problem is?

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Still pisses me off though!

Then don't buy it. Its not extortion, its serious market demand by farmers who buy the most expensive seed by October 1st - and its sold out! Doesn't sound like extortion at all.

Guys are putting 200 lbs of N down, when they should be putting 80 or 90. Grow more more more - at any cost.

Tell me again where the problem is?
You are not forced to pay, that would be actual extortion, farmers voluntarily pay.
Point taken.:)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Hi everyone,

just wondering as to what farmers in other countries are paying for GM Canola seed. We are going to stop growing it as it costs us AUD$460/ha to grow it.

Our seed to buy costs just under AUD$31,000/tonne. and the price we get when selling is currently AUD$452/tonne

just a curious question. cheers.
Be careful what you say, your gonna have the GMO Nazis on your doorstep...

·
Registered
593 Posts
But don't forget all the programs..:p
Sometimes the rebate check = 20 cents per pound of seed or $10/bu.
Mighty generous of them.;)

And I will be booking some more this fall just so I get the kind of seed I want for next year.
I just wish, in this business of farming, the inputs we buy would at least allow some value to the sun and the rain. The minute you think they're free you either don't get enough or wayyy too much. Kind of screws up the " this variety yields 45bu every year so that'll cover my costs" mentality.

·
Registered
355 Posts
$60 an acre? Wow. I sow at 2kg a ha which is like 0.7-8kg an acre at the same price from $27-$29 a kg plus a tech fee of $7 kg so say $70 a ha takes it back to $28 acre. And that's aiming for 1-3t ha or 0.4 to 1.2t an acre. So I'm taking it u sow a heavier rate over there? Plant numbers would drown each other out I would have thought.?

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
So I'm taking it u sow a heavier rate over there?
Correct.
The industry adopted, no, I dare say embraced, a 5 pound per acre/5.6 kg/ha seeding rate.
So much so that about 10 years ago bags were reduced from 25.00 to 22.68 (50 pounds) so farmers could simply slap a bag on 10 acres.
Fabulous marketing.
Very questionable agronomics.
But hey, it fits the marvelous imperial system so well!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.