The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have 1500 acres of wheat to do and the canola is coming on. Got up to 1.5" of rain over the weekend so lost three days of not spraying. Have about 4000 acres of liberty and another 4000 of RR coming ready and, of course, the Liberty acres take longer (10GPA) and can't start early in the morning so no efficiencies to be had there. Just to add to the fun, forecasting 20-40K winds and a few showers for this week. Oh, and 1000 acres of peas. Such a "relaxing" time of year. Fortunately was able to hand off about 8-9000 acres to other custom applicators as well as leasing my other sprayer out to a couple guys to do their own so I don't have to do it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Why can’t liberty be done early in the day? Everything that I read said it works great in a heavy dew and having it applied early on good sunny day has always been my best kill. Even better if the next day is sunny also.

Yes it is stressful here to with the short spray window and daily potential for afternoon showers.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I guess my drought-ridden sand pile down here has its compensations. Got nearly 1.5" so far this weekend, and I expect to spray again tomorrow afternoon! EDIT: almost 2" now probably 2.5" by the time it's done, so I'll have to wait another day.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
We've had between 3 and 4 inches in the last three weeks. Quite nice really. Very grateful. First storm 0.75", second storm an inch, and this weekend it looks like we had 1.5-2 inches depending on the field. Certainly enough to make the dryland hay go from nothing to something.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Has that rain been pretty wide spread in Alberta?
Down in the south here the rain has been rather spotty. Some areas got 2" last weekend, others got half an inch or less. Even on my farm some fields got 1.5", some got less. I was making dust spraying yesterday only 24 hours after the rain quit. But that's the sand pile for you. Plenty of moisture underneath, top half inch powder dry again.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wish I could share with you, it poured here again today and it’s supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow….it’s like the Amazon jungle around here….not good for spraying or low areas

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made a small dent in the list. All the wheat is done, 1800 acres of the Liberty is done and 320 peas done. Been windy (of course) and now calling for showers tomorrow. Depending on how unsettled it is, might have to rinse and go to roundup until the skies clear and the weather is suitable for Liberty (and/or Viper) again. Stuff is growing FAST!.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only 3 days and I would be all caught up but nooooooooo, rained today. B better for the round up that I have to do (2800 acres) as some fields were a problem mitigating the dust. I only have that and 1000 of Liberty. Also, am on the verge of a pretty cool milestone. Will share when I pass the thresh-hold. I didn't look but should be only a few acres away.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My peas and some of my wheat got 4" 3 nights ago. 2-2 1/2" everywhere else. The forecast was 70% of 5-10mm that night lol. Well over 15" here now since 5' of snow melted. More rain tomorrow. 90% of 10-15mm, so could be another 4-5". Just a few miles north of me way less rain every time. Weather seems to have a track and I am on it with a freight train coming at me full bore.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts