The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after many years I had to say good bye to a loyal friend yesterday, and to make it worse I was the one who had to make it happen as he went into an siezure that wouldn't end, and so with things having been going down hill for him the last couple years even with help from my vet, the time had come that it just had to be done. My vet had always told me he would come out and do it when it was time no problem, but with the holidays and all I didn't want to hassle him and it needed to be done soon anyway. Even with a sick cow I have trouble, this was worse lol.
Took me all afternoon to bust thru the frost with the wheel loader, but least I was able to afford him some dignify afterwards and peice of mind for myself and least that chapter all came to an end within the same day and is over but for the memories. Still catching myself expecting to see him waiting for me though...

But life goes on and I knew this was coming. I want to get a new dog, had never really had a good one before Turbo come along and now I want that to continue. He was kind of a Heinz 57, some kind of lab cross we figured, but was great with kids, cats and more, stayed home and was loyal beyond all. Would kind of squeak when he got excited so thus my nickname for him, squeaky puppy lol.

Thinking of a great pyrenees actually. Have always liked them for their protectiveness of other animals. Got cats and rabbits loose around the yard and of course the cattle, chickens and more elsewhere. Need something that aint gonna want to kill everything it sees. That seems to be an issue with many breeds including blue heelers and border collies from what I have seen and heard.

What is your fav breed and why? Whats best, neutered or intact, male or female? I've always been told intact males are best.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I feel your pain. In December 2018 I lost my 13.5 year old German Shepherd Frank. The vet came out for me and he slipped to the other side with his head in my hands. Fortunately like you I was able to bust through the frost and give him a proper burial. Wife and kids took it really hard but no doubt it worked on me the most. Had that dog long before I had a wife and doing chores the next several days was exceptionally difficult.

I'm a German Shepherd guy. That's all I've ever had growing up. Got a new one in February because the wife and kids were pushing me. With 5 kids he gets a lot of action! He'll bark a lot more than the old one which is fine and he'll make a person think twice if he doesn't think they belong but hasn't shown aggression either. I'll about guarantee he'll kill for those kids if that situation presented though.

A couple of people around here have had the Great Pyrenees and could not keep them at home, they roamed a lot.

I think an intact male will make it want to wonder more than a neutered male, keep the idea out of their head before it gets into it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a heeler as a yard dog for years, had to put him down last summer after cancer got to him. He was pretty easy to train around all the other critters running round the yard as we've got ducks chooks lambs horses etc all around the place. He was intact and very protective of all the human females and kids, if he didn't like the look of someone he wasn't shy about letting then know! Don't know how the breeding of them over there compares to the originals out here though. All our other companion dogs are rat terriers, awesome little dogs but not too be left unattended out of the house yard as they'll kill everything that moves!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Some of the Great Pyrenees that people have had around here spent as much time at everyone else's yard as their own. I have never had one, other than the neighbours that was over.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Labs and Retrievers are hard to beat for smarts and loyalty, but maybe sometimes too friendly as an intruder could rob you blind and steal the dog too! Our latest dog has been a Westie / Maltese cross. Wasn't sure I wanted a small dog at first but she has turned out to be a great companion. It's an indoor dog but barks whenever someone comes in the yard, loves to ride in the truck, people make fun of me when I take her in the semi with me! For a small dog she does a good job of keeping foxes and coyotes out of the yard, and even chased a bear away, she might just have been so annoying to the bear it thought there has to be a better place to be!

Hard to lose a friend like a loyal old dog. Had a Golden Lab for 15 years, before wife and kids, he came with me everywhere. Had to put him down a couple years ago during harvest, took months to stop looking for him to come around the corner every time I drove around the yard. It was funny when my wife and I started dating, we would go for a walk and he was so jealous he would walk between us and push her towards the ditch!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
We used to have a Pyrenees but found the same as mentioned, wouldn’t stay home. Now we have a couple Anatolian sheaperds and they are much bettter at staying home. Great guard dogs, they just about are big enough that they look into the window of a 1/2 ton truck. Bark that makes people not want to get out of there vehicle. And great with the kids, and other livestock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
had to put my chocolate lab down five days ago was a geat farm dog for many years inspected every acre behind the drill every year still have 6 year old great pyrenees that's intact is also great farm dog loves the kids wont ever let someone rob our place

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.We have several hundred sheep so dogs are also a way of life here.
There are a number of truly great companions and guardians buried in a quiet spot overlooking the
farm going back 30 years.
Over the years I have come to believe that we humans are responsible for more of the unwanted behavior
than the dogs are.Each dog has been better and I now think it is because of MY greater understanding and ability to communicate what we need or want of them.I shoulder the responsibility of screwing up some of those dogs by my dimwittedness.
We usually have between 5 and 8 dogs.Right now 2 are Border/Heeler cross and we have 4 Maremma/Pyr cross.
I am new here but I see that you are in Alberta.Lots of quality guardian dogs available if you contact shepherds in the province.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
We had an intact male, pure Great Pyrenees from the time he was a weaned puppy until the age of four when he was hit by a vehicle at the end of our driveway. He was a great dog overall. I wish we had known at the time how well GPS collars work to map out a big dog’s territory. The downsides are that they are expensive and need to be recharged about every 24 hours. Our current dog that we got as a pup is also now four and has used a GPS collar since he was big enough to carry it. I never worry about him a bit if he decides to patrol all night. The collars can be programmed with two separate territories any distance apart. You would need to remove the collar first before taking the dog out of a zone with a vehicle to avoid the likely possibility of him getting a shock. If a dog slips out of his zone because of trees etc blocking the satellite he can get back in without being shocked or hearing the audible pre warning of the boundary.

Our new dog is now also four, he is half Great Pyrenees and half Golden Retriever and about 100 lbs and intact. We have adult kids. He is a lot more tolerant of grown men coming in the house in the middle of the night and would never intimidate anyone that acts peaceably. This photo is him. Not quite as thick of hair, nor as white.
D61DF524-37A8-4851-BCAA-166B3DA0E4D9.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, it's hard to say goodbye to a friend that way. We had to put our golden retriever down 2 years ago. We ended up getting a great pyrenees to replace him. He's a great all around dog. He's a good guard of our cattle at night, bugger sleeps all day though lol. My brother has 2 dogs and they live 1/4 mile away so the 3 of them are always together. We haven't had any issues with our neighbors. Good luck with the search, great dogs are hard to come by.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Probably the hardest thing to go through (other than immediate family) because they are always with you and happy to just be your friend.

I'm just recently on my 4th dog of my life and still get sad when I pass one of the graves of the other 3. All mutts and every one of them was happy to ride with on anything and super protective of me or a smaller children if they were around. Sometimes To the point where it was kind of a pain.

Hope your next one is just as good as the last.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have always had labs and they have been excellent, latest dog is a Maremma (similar to a Pyrenees) and he is awesome. He stays home, but he is fixed and that may be the reason why. Aggressive looking but isn’t. Not very trainable like a lab is though. End of the day it doesn’t matter, the dog becomes pet of your family whatever mix it is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I've also been thinking about what breed(s) my next pup will be, as my current companion is 11 years old. Guaranteed it's going to be a neutered male and will be at least 50% Australian shepherd. Albeit I've only had two Aussies but it's been over a span of the past 22 years. Loyal and intuitive are two words I'd use to describe them.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Sorry about your dog AB, hard to say goodbye to a good dog. Last dog we had here, which I haven't had the nerve to replace yet because he was so good, was a golden retriever. Having kids around I really appreciated the trust we had for him, wouldn't hurt anyone and was good with kids. You could give him a steak and then take it back out of his mouth and he would do nothing, try doing that with a shepherd or a lab! Recently a trucker was here delivering fertilizer and his young daughter was just attacked by their boxer, unprovoked attack and she was lucky to not be more seriously hurt by the picture I saw. Our dog had a pretty good bark and lots of people stayed in their car, but the dead giveaway was his tail would be wagging at the same time...ha ha. He got pretty old and was pretty deaf from always coming to see me at the grain auger while loading grain. Because of that he laid under the pickup and did not hear me start and move the truck. All three of my kids were present and accounted for and watched me run over the dog, I suppose his last gift to them was to teach a valuable lesson about safety around vehicles.:cry:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have had several dogs growing up and have a mostly border collie female now. She was fixed and is 11 yrs old now. She is a dog I will never forget that'/s for sure. She grew up with my kids and goes everywhere I do. We go camping at Greenwater lake every summer which has many campsites and have never had her trespass beyond our site and half way in the trees bordering the neighbors site. When she was a pup it took maybe 5 corrections as to what was expected of her camping and the rules are rock solid in her mind. Doesn't even respond to other dogs while in our site with many walking by on a leash for 11 yrs. I can leave our site to go somewhere and she just stays unless I ask her to come. Hasn't barked ever at the lake. Strange as heck but this dog isn't vocal at all. Only if someone drives in the yard or a stranger walks past on the grid. Never had a dog quite as loyal as this one. My happiness is what is most important to her. Never have I raised a hand to this dog and her trust of us is unreal. She can stare up a tree at the lake at a squirrel as mezmerize it to come down it seems lol. Many have perished. Their worst mistake is climbing 2-3 inch polar trees. Once a squirrel gets in one of those trees she just shakes the tree until the squirrel hits the ground. No barking or yelping just rustling leaves from the tree being pushed lol.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the kind thoughts and words everyone, and yea, unfortunately it is something that pretty much all of us have to deal with all too often.

I had never had a good dog before, in years gone past pre cattle days, most winters I was out in the bush with my truck in the patch, so while the odd stray showed up now and then, I was pretty much dog free till this one. Not that I didn't want one, I just didn't think it was right to have something like a dog when one wasn't home all the time regularly to interact with it.

I do appreciate the comments on personal experiences, your dogs and different breeds, very interesting about the straying tendencies of the Pyrenees, I had seen that before myself with the few I have known, but attributed it to them being owned by people who shouldn't have had any animals IMO, not the actual nature of the dog itself. I am really glad to know that now ahead of time. For me with neighbors, good fences and dogs that stay home are very high on that list...

Was something that someone posted that had me thinking the other day, was opening a gate out back to feed the cows and saw a squirrel scamper away up a tree and remembered how Turbo went nuts over squirrels lol, he wouldn't let up till he caught it or I shot it and gave it to him afterwards. But not once did he ever go after a kitten or young rabbit, he was able to differentiate between them all.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dogs are smarter than people in so many aspects. A dog can sense someone shady instantly. I basically know people my dog doesn't like and know well enough some of the stuff they have done is questionable. These people I say hi too on the street but don't deal with. Got a neighbor that we NEVER had a dog yet, that would not growl the whole time he was in the yard. Then can just sense this stuff. A dogs nose is everything. It's hearing is second but brilliant as well. Your dog will hear you at a distance in your vehicle coming home. It will remember that exact sound your vehicle makes. My dog knows when my dad is coming half a mile away by the way he drives and his truck sound. A dog will smell you coming. It may see you coming and recognize your shape etc but will only feel confident once it has established your smell. This Xmas we went to my wifes sisters house. Her daschund is blind now and barked when we got there and wouldn't quit. I know dogs quite well and told my boys to go straight to her and let her smell your hand and pet her. Instantly dog settled right in. The house this dog lives in is large with many rooms and can find it's way around amazingly being totally blind. There is no truer friend than a dog. Your wife is up there but your wife will get mad at you sometimes lol. Dogs never will

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve always had good luck with cattle dogs although I’m a big believer in it’s the person that makes a dog go bad not normally the dogs fault. Cattle dogs are 1 breed that definitely shouldn’t be stirred up as a pup as they can go bad quick. But will be loyal and protective to a fault. Here in Australia if you see a cattle dog in a yard you definitely don’t enter unless the owner is around. My dog can tell the difference between my partners car and that of some of our friends even thought they are the same car. Only barks if someone pulls up in front of the house not across the street. Yep we live in town unfortunately. He’s only 4 years old but I already know he’s going to be hard to replace. Seeing how gentle he was with my 2 year old niece over Christmas was pretty special. Didn’t knock her over once and would play with her until she got bored and wandered off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts