The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading my 9530T in on a MT865 Challenger. The Deere has been real good aside from the fan drive failing and the a/c compressor going south. The payments would be lower going to a new MT than they currently are for my Deere. I also have plenty of equity in the John Deere. I might add that mine is also off warranty....which is kind of concerning with what they charge to fix stuff. If I had to pick which dealer I have a better relation with....I'd give the edge to Agco.

I wasn't even considering trading, but the deal does sound pretty good and I know it's not smart keeping a main piece of equipment that you rely on forever.......even though I do love my 9530T

Would I like the MT coming from a Deere? They better....worse....or a draw?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Deere resale value on track machine is awful. They are an ok tractor but we switched to cat and the power shift is amazing. Deere is switching to quad trac and these 2 track machines of Deere are going to be gone. At the rba sale last fall, they had many makes sitting side by side, I was stunned to see how light the Deere is built compared to cat. I have now gone to case quad and not leaving that anytime soon. Perhaps test one and see first before buying.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Yes it appears the JD is lighter. Just not sure where, cause without ballast they are a little heavier by published weight, but very close.
Can you get an 80 gal pump on the new MT? This would have some bearing on my decision. The new RTs can be ordered with the 78gal.
The other thing to consider is your gps situation. Maybe it works for you to trade if your not running all JD. Sometimes there is a cost benefit if your moving your tractor gps to your combine. For us we always ran the ATU in our challenger witch worked real good anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Man it's gonna be a lot of changes in a lot of ways.....if you are happy with your tractor and its' been that reliable, a few repair bills are a far cry from the cost of trading to a new tractor. Those machines are pretty reliable....I doubt it's a ticking time bomb. I guess if you are up to learning a lot about how to operate and service a new brand then have at it, many people like those tractors. But if you like your _____, why jump ship to a completely new brand?
Good points farmerjones I was thinking about trading all my red paint off on green but.......it really would just be too much work!;):D

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
FJ is right on the resale value of the kitty's here too. Pretty strong JD area, but that isn't the same everywhere. Ran 2 track JD's and Cat's and both rode like crap, but these were the older models, no air bags. Never ran a quad to tell how it rides. Will be sticking with wheels here, no way to really justify the tracks in my area. What is the price difference between the 9r and mt?

·
Registered
962 Posts
we run a MT765 since 2004 bought it new, I really like it, this year had to do the a/c on it otherwise totally trouble free, we have 2970 hrs. on it. ran Case Ih Stieger before this the ride on the Challenger is way smoother then the wheel tractor. when we're ready it'll be another Challenger for this farm

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man it's gonna be a lot of changes in a lot of ways.....if you are happy with your tractor and its' been that reliable, a few repair bills are a far cry from the cost of trading to a new tractor. Those machines are pretty reliable....I doubt it's a ticking time bomb. I guess if you are up to learning a lot about how to operate and service a new brand then have at it, many people like those tractors. But if you like your Deere, why jump ship to a completely new brand? Have you even bothered to price a new 9R to see what the difference is? In our area the resale value of a Challanger is so abysmal that alone makes up a lot of the initial cheaper purchase. Your area may be completely opposite. What is it about the Challenger makes you want to own it? Or is it all about the lower payment?
No I haven't. In fact I never see my JD salesman.....never hear from him....nothing. I think they expect customers to fall in the door or something. There aren't any other JD 2 tracks around here except mine. I have the only one they have ever sold.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 1800hrs on it
So it's basically still brand new. The cats a better tractor hands down & your repayments may be less but no doubt I take it you would be making those repayments for longer? What maybe more importantly it really comes down to is what other machinery needs replacing in the short term? And where better could that money be spent? Is that tractor going to improve yields over something else replaced?
I can't see a lot of point giving away your money to make machinery dealerships rich! I tend to upgrade mine @ around 8000hrs. Never had to do any major repairs & never had anything I had to stop for during seeding. Simple maintenance is cheap. I don't seem to trade my old ones, land holding generally increases during that time to some extent so they all end up getting needed. Think I have 5 around the 10000 hr mark still going strong & if they die for good they're cheap to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Good deals on Challengers? My dad's has a 75, over 20 years old now and finally doing some work on it. He is thinking of trading up since the hydraulics are a bit low on flow, starting to need small things fixed, a bit low on power for his seeder. May go down to Great Falls and see them demo on the 17th. I don't want to go and see how much nicer they are than my 95E ;) I think you did good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Compare the engine sizes they are using to produce the 500+ hp both tractors claim. Look at the undercarriage differences. Take a 4x4 block and run over it in both tractors with the suspension in the seat at zero to see which ride is rougher on the tractor. See which one is capable of going faster. See which machines on average have the most hours on them on tractorhouse. Ive got machines with well over 10,000 hours still going strong with routine maintenance being the only cost.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a couple questions. What kind of drill are you running? What auto steer would you use? I just hate having a window full of monitors and if you are using a Deere drill it's sure nice to have everything in one monitor. We just have our 2600 in the corner in our 9430T. I know it's nothing to do with the tractor but it's something I think about.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
hehe 1800 hrs the unit it just broke in. Unless you need a tax write off I would stick with your deer. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.