The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1680 short shoe with gordon air jet chaffers and I can't keep it from throwing milo over. I've adjusted the fan speed all over and adjusted the bottom sieve. On the info that came with the gordon chaffers it says open the bottom sieve wide open and set the fan speed high but this throws a LOT of grain over. I am running the fan below 600 rpm and just barely creeping through the field and am getting by but it is still throwing some over. I am ready to take them out and replace them with a new chaffer, possibly an adjustable air foil. Any ideas or should I trash these chaffers?

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of the reasons you may be throwing grain over is that you are just creeping along. You need to push the combine and load your machine.

I have a 1990 1680 with a long shoe, I am cutting milo making 90 to 100 BPA plus and running 4.5 - 5.0 mph. Close the bottom sieves down to 1/4 to 5/16, run the fan about 1000 to 1100 rpm and push the machine. My limiting factor is I am loading the machine with grain. These machines need to be loaded to run properly.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I might be a little bit of help (disclaimer I have no idea what it is like to harvest milo) that being said I have had an air jet sieve for three woderfull years and nost of the time I love it how much does milo weigh? when I cut barley or even camalina I still run my fan at least 1000rpm. my bottom seive you do not run wide open mostly open I think 7/8 of an inch? you want to make sure that they air direction kinda matches the angle of the air slot on top chaffer defenitly call gordon I am sure he can help you out plenty..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The milo we are cutting is running 100 to 125 bu/a and the test weight is in the 59's. Everyone I've talked to has said they've never heard of anyone running the fan that low but I'm new to these machines and am just trying everything. At 3 mph fan at 1000 rpm and the bottom sieve 3/4 open it is throwing a lot of grain over with excessive tailing also. I would try going faster and really loading the machine as kthwht suggested but am afraid of getting way to many tailings. But I'll try anything at this point. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
What screen do you have in, how about concaves and rotor speed. The reason i ask is because even in 100 milo i run maybe 1 large wire concave in the back rest small wire other wise i get too much trash on the sieve. Also if the screen size is too small probably doesn't help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts