The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a specialty rotor for my 1680 and am wondering how many Gordon bars I need to do a good job in corn, beans, and wheat.
thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
At the very least put an auger front end on it. There are several to choose from. I believe that would be better money spent than Gordon bars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Kile front end IS going on as well. I am leaving out an old standard rotor, and putting in this specialty project. I will probably go with a bare minimum of thresh/sep Gordon bars and put new oem knobs on all the rest. Mostly run corn and beans, but still some wheat, which is the reason behind the Gordons. I will be well below what I would have to spend on an AFX

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ross7010 are you saying that the aftermarket products aren't worth it because if they were Case would offer them from the factory? That sounds pretty ignorant, especially on how large businesses work. They would rather offer as few options as possible as long as it woks ok. Why should they offer something if it works better for some crops but maybe not as well on others, giving the option could cut into their profit margin...which usually but not always means a smaller bonus for the big wigs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would like to add that I have installed a AFX rotor in a 1660 combine and have noticed on the bottom of my grain bin on the farm the corn we harvested in 2008 at that time was +35 percent moisture and there are more fines. Why? I think the small bars on the AFX allow the cobs to bounce more and with the old standard rotor the pressure to keep the cobs against the concaves is more consistent. Just remember that it is the fullness of the cage with corn that completes the thrash, not the rotor banging the grain against the concave. H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts