The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
All ready to pound through some sloughs!

Nice wheels. I hope you can go fast enough to get out of your own mud storm before it falls back down your neck.

Thanks for posting. I now realize how I can write off my new to me rotary ditcher that I just bought from my son. It hung around the old man cave last fall for a few hours while I surgically removed some of its exploded cylinder bits from its sump, so I know it's all good to go. I just have to make twice as many passes as that Can-Am machine of yours. I think maybe I deserve a nice new bag full of safety apparel to run this thing too. You can really move dirt when you run a bunch of them together in the big ruts.

https://pasteboard.co/HeZX1VU.jpg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice wheels. I hope you can go fast enough to get out of your own mud storm before it falls back down your neck..
Ya I've done it before, with stock tires.. need a full rain suit with hood, and goggles.. will let you guys know how it turns out if all this snow ever melts!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That is quite the warning on the side of those wheels, 10 km speed maximum and wearing a helmet and only for ag use, they certainly covered all the basis !. How does it feel going for a rip down the road or have you yet.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I laughed at that too, 10km, most people can run faster then that. I guess it absolves them of literally everything.
It's quite a bit more rough than regular tires, they weigh about double also., quite cold so only got it up to 40km/hr.
There is a little bit of slop in the bolt holes as they are a little oversize, so I don't see them being great at speeds, but at least the pattern holes are counter sunk so acorn nuts can somewhat centre the rim, but obviously not perfect.
I think they should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Now guys, not to be a wet blanket, but you have your permits, right???:sFun_rofl::sFun_rofl::sFun_rofl:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Probably would be a good idea after its driven under power ( creating a water way ) to retorque the nuts.

I could see the ride suffering quite a lot over a low pressure quad tire but I don't imagine running typical dirt bike tire pressures would work, assuming they are fitted with tubes as the tires could be apt to spin on the rim if they hook up good as there are no rim locks like on dirt bikes. Slow turns and staying off side hills should keep it upright though !

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you make the wheels yourself?
No, just bought them and bolted on article here

Now guys, not to be a wet blanket, but you have your permits, right???:sFun_rofl::sFun_rofl::sFun_rofl:
Funny how I just happened to drive from slough to slough, didn't mean for the water to follow me... honest!

Probably would be a good idea after its driven under power ( creating a water way ) to retorque the nuts.

I could see the ride suffering quite a lot over a low pressure quad tire but I don't imagine running typical dirt bike tire pressures would work, assuming they are fitted with tubes as the tires could be apt to spin on the rim if they hook up good as there are no rim locks like on dirt bikes. Slow turns and staying off side hills should keep it upright though !
It's actually quite stable, because the machine still remains quite wide, as the offset on the stock wheels are really high, so there is really just all the rubber missing towards the inside of the quad. Actually should make for easier cleaning.
I tried out some donuts, and with all the ground pressure, it actually doesn't spin as easy as one would think. The knobs are quite aggressive.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Good point about the offset of wheels as some quads are more offset to the outside then others and would screw up the stability and for that matter the front to rear tire tracking.

Hopefully the tires have enough traction, there just isn't such a thing as huge tall knobs on bike tires or nothing run of the mill like that, on the other hand they weren't stupid and put on a dual purpose DOT tire that is useless in mud and would be pathetic for an application like this. I guess you will soon know when you "dive in" to a field.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts