The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Our GS3 was a bit wonky in the afternoons about a month ago and then again 10 days ago. Would show periodically that it was almost dropping signal only to pop back up again to full strength. Occasionally it would disengage the auto steer. Unplugging the receiver for 5 mins the first day helped to set it straight.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I had problems a few times this fall while doing NH3 fall work and ours is the JD system and was using our Starfire 3000 receiver and its running on the SF1 system. Just out of the blue, bang "beep" and disengage ... nothing on the screen percent wise of signal and then bit by bit it would come back enough to engage again although sometimes with inaccuracies. Every time it just hit like a sledge hammer with no warning and I was out in the field away from any obstacles so that wasn't the issue. Never did ask at the local JD dealership if this was happening to others this fall.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Waas often gave problems after supper. I am running RTK now and never have issues but it did cut out mid-afternoon today? Sitting at 9 sattelites for awhile now.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I had problems a few times this fall while doing NH3 fall work and ours is the JD system and was using our Starfire 3000 receiver and its running on the SF1 system. Just out of the blue, bang "beep" and disengage ... nothing on the screen percent wise of signal and then bit by bit it would come back enough to engage again although sometimes with inaccuracies. Every time it just hit like a sledge hammer with no warning and I was out in the field away from any obstacles so that wasn't the issue. Never did ask at the local JD dealership if this was happening to others this fall.
I did ask, about a month ago there were some solar flares which were supposed to have potentially caused interference for a few days. But it still continued to happen periodically after the risk for interference had diminished, though far less frequently

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
First real issue I had was today. I was harrowing, stopped for dinner and to move a truck about 1/2 hour and was out about 2ft. I am running Outbacks and Raven. Outback has been great and a lot more user friendly than raven.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have the outback 360 with S2 receivers and hydraulic steer option. I couldn't be happier when comparing all the setting I have to deal with in the sprayer with Raven and Smartsteer. I have always used it for seeding and conventional spraying. Years ago, I had used it once using its own triangulation (non-WAAS) system and it worked fine for spraying. Because I have used the same A-B lines since 2003, I can see how accurate the system is field to field. I believe the WAAS system to be accurate from 0-3 ft year to year for the past 11 years. I have seen no increase in accuracy between S & S2 systems although the S2 system software is way more reliable, better wrote and has less glitches contained in it.

I have used the same A-B lines for seeding since the 360 came out 10 years ago? There can be some differences between night and next morning but easily corrected with an A-B shift. I use dated software and never update it. I don't know how good the newer Outback system is and I am too scared to change when the system I have been using has been good for so many years. Pass to pass I am generally within 1 foot.

My only beef with the system is that you may not always get your data recorded properly to the SD card (older system non-USB). There are some glitches in the computer programming. Sometimes pieces of the field are not in the field! I have helped this considerably by carrying a laptop with me and downloading the data every field or 2. That seems to help but sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own. Also sometimes when you start out in the morning you have to check to make sure your implement width is not set to the default 60' or that your overlap has not been turned to 0. Other than these items, it is by far the simplest and easiest to use system out there IMO.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Just imagine the gong show if we lose the entire system for say a day or two. I bet most of us couldn't hold a line worth a crap anymore......haha. And if the outage happened during spraying season.....whoa, look out.....

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Just imagine the gong show if we lose the entire system for say a day or two. I bet most of us couldn't hold a line worth a crap anymore......haha. And if the outage happened during spraying season.....whoa, look out.....
That's why we still order our sprayers with foam, I may never use it....... Ever..... But there will be that one time I may not be so spoiled and actually have to steer! :eek: haha

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are correct! Well, about me anyway.;)
Demoed a combine the other day that didn't have auto steer.:(

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have an older outback s2. I've used deere gs2, case pro600/700, outback and trimble and find the trimble is the easiest for everyone to use and seems to hold the line the best. With the outback, you can be going along, all of a sudden its 5 feet out! Or if you turn the corner and it was perfect, after turn its a couple feet out. You can adjust it, but get to the other end, suddenly its back. My next tractor will have trimble rtx.

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wth?

Not a signal issue but does anyone else ever have they're Trimble display change set angles for you?
EG, you set it for 90.00 confirm the display reads 90.00, doesn't seem to be doing 90, check display setting, it's 89.99!
WTF!!!:eek::eek:

Also happens at 0
And 45
And 135

·
Registered
456 Posts
GPS differences

Certainly no expert on these and have to say always been a bit envious about the Green GPS systems vs ones typically on red stuff, but have noted issues like Don's and seems that you always better actually setting angles at slightly off the 90/180 type settings.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Don I have had the angle change slightly on my Trimble 500's, very bizarre!

This afternoon my autosteer kicked out at about 2:45 and again at 3:00. When I looked then I was down to 5 sattelites. Maybe there is a minimum satellite setting on your/my monitors that needs tweaking??? I am running a FM 1000.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.