The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to get a signal in under a half an hour on my afs100
system. Noticed this during wheat harvest and emailed support. They said to update to newest version at dealer. My dealer just got that done. Tryed again yesterday and there is no difference. I am running a 2008 2577 with 600 and WASS AFS100 antenna. I think they loaded version 3.08 in the antenna.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been having this trouble with a few and What I did was updated the pro 600 from 12.1 to 16.1 and then updated the anntena to version 3.08 and it works good you get satilites with in five min.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What versions of software in your 600?

There have been some hardware issues with the AFS100s. I'd give AFS support a call to get the latest info.

·
Registered
809 Posts
5 minutes isn't good enough for me. If I am waiting for a truck and I shut my machine off I have to start it and wait 5 minutes before my mapping works? That's what you're tell us? CIH has a receiver that works in alot less time than that, it's the 252 model.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Midwest I had the same problem with the Trimble auto steer, I think I have the 252 receiver (that big square one?), it is also is way too slow to ramp up, or convergence as Trimble calls it, for auto steering.
Solution?
I took it off the keyed circuit and separately switched it.
Problem totally solved, I just leave it on all the time for day to day use.

Don

I looked up my bill:
Autopilot AgGPS 252 (Omnistar XP/HP, VBS, WAAS &
EGNOS) With NavController II

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don,
The 252 receiver actually boots up to WAAS pretty quick, the XP/HP convergence time is another issue. I don't know if running the AFS100 receiver hot on a combine would work. When you start the combine it pulls the electrical system down and you may loose power to the receiver anyway.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Don, the OmniStar convergence time has been greatly reduced in the new v3.61 firmware for the 252. Might want to check that out if you're on XP/HP.

I also have a 252 that is hard wired in to the system. It takes so little power that I'm fine with it running over night while the machine is off. It's ready to go the next day.

From my experience with the 252, it will get a WAAS fix in about a minute from a cold start.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Each year before we get started i usually have to wait forever for both 2388's to load up...or one's a 25 now....

its just the normall all in one antenna/reciever....

it takes way to long for these to boot up... dealer's been installing a switch to turn the power on after you start the machine and claims that helps.....

I need to talk with them and see how to do it exactly....

i don't understand why id have to sit and wait 5-10 min every morning for the gps to lock on....then again im just a farmer....

the older model with a reciever in the cab and antenna on top booted up alot faster..

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Lance this was also on the bill:
3 Month Subscription - Omnistar XP
Is it possible I may not have v3.61 firmware?
This was just installed by the Trimble dealer 3 weeks ago.
Thanks Lance.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
So you can not make the GPS receiver stay on after shut down of machine like a JD StarFire.

That is interesting. I would think all GPS receivers would do this to be programed to stay on, if you want it to stay on. This is for SF2 and RTK.

Press: SETUP >> STARFIRE RECEIVER

The following items can be setup in SETUP - GPS

Hours On After Shutdown

PC8322-19: SETUP - GPS

Screen: SETUP - GPS

Press: SETUP >> STARFIRE RECEIVER

Button next to “Hours ON after Shutdown” defines how long receiver remains powered after ignition is turned off (0, 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours). If ignition is turned on within number of hours defined, receiver will re-establish full SF2 accuracy within a few seconds (assuming it had SF2 when ignition was turned off).

The operator can select amount time in hours system will stay on. Press button next to “Hours ON after Shutdown” to toggle between settings. Setting from factory is 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I believe the EZ Guide 500 has some kind of low power mode, but I don't know if it has a time limit on it. My 252 doesn't have any power mode. You give it power and it stays on. Could easily add a shut down timer on it, but there is no point for what we're doing. I can turn it on separately from the ignition, so it can boot up while we're greasing combines or whatever. Or just leave it on for days at a time during harvest.

Deere seems to have done this the right way by having a shut down timer built in to the unit. Excellent function with no user interaction.

Don, the v3.61 firmware just came out a few weeks ago, so it might be on your receiver.

-Lance

·
Registered
560 Posts
I doubt that the 3.61 is on many receivers yet. I would bet most have 3.58.

Don, you can change the convergence distance on the 252, so that it converges faster (meaning you can use it sooner), but you decrease accuracy. This is what Deere has done. Their convergence time in the past (maybe not now) was maybe half of Trimble, but the accuracy at convergence was only 17" instead of 11". Depends on your priorities.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the other thing that you guys could do is to wire it direct to a on off switch. Thats what case wanted use to do 2 years ago. they have a service bulliten out on it if I remember right.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Thanks Lance, Torn, I will check that out.
I was wondering Tom if you'd notice the lack of a power down delay feature Deere uses.
You could also mention the lack of a instantaneous shift track feature.
Now you can't.
I did.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Torn- I contacted CASE about the problem and he was hung nup on new versions of everything,monitor ,combine,all 7 of them I think. Having 16.1 and 3.08 you guys said it would work so I thumbed through the menus on the 600 and came across the setup menu and noticed the GPS was set to 232a and thought I read on here it should be set to CAN. Told support about it and he said sure it needs to be set to CANa. The signal came right on in about 3 minutes. I think the service people need a little more training. As always I am ever in your debt . This forum is always very informative and helpful. Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
560 Posts
The 2500 combines actually can accept GPS via CAN-A, RS232A, or RS232B, just depending on where you have your receiver connected, and whether the receiver is CAN capable. So 232A isn't always the wrong choice, but it was in your case.

Glad you got it figured out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts