The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my very last year using grain bags. But until then has anyone got any secrets to keeping raccoons ravins porcupines and deer away? Also what glue will work to glue plastic patches on?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
.22-250 and propane scare cannons have been my best solutions to date. Hi tech bags come with the best tape for holes. Ravens and crows are the worst. I'm pretty sure they are after grasshoppers and such that are just under the plastic in the bags. (Just guessing) taking a few cracks at them with the rifle seems to move them along.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We put batt powered radios on the bags at night to keep the elk away recharge batteries during the day. Elk are harder on bags than ravens deer bears all put together around here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The deer were hard on our bags last year. Trying snow fence on the ends of the bags this year and propane scare cannons turned on once and awhile. Has anybody tried spraying a little diesel on the bags have heard this works as the deer hate the smell but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deer were hard on our bags last year. Trying snow fence on the ends of the bags this year and propane scare cannons turned on once and awhile. Has anybody tried spraying a little diesel on the bags have heard this works as the deer hate the smell but I haven't tried it yet.
diesal worked last year but not this year. Game wardens also gave me some TKO to spray on the bags which kinda worked. My bags will be made of steel next year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dead ravens on grain bags seem to work around here.
X2

Also I have been using niteguard.com lights on stakes with ok results. F*ckin deer still put a couple holes in one bag this year. Not bad considering we had 11 bags. I find the red tuck tape works good patching holes. But I seem to be having luck with plantskydd. Tried it where I patched the holes in the one and the deer haven't come back to those spots yet. That was a week ago. Found the stuff at crappy wheel (Canadian tire). Keeping my fingers crossed it works till we can haul.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Choosing a better bag helps too... I noticed that Up North and Ipesa silo hold up the best (Although I haven't used Up North in years.The AgFX/Cervus are junk... couldn't fill them up high, had them split once, pain in the ass to put on.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bags were Up north. My biggest problem is I live beside a large valley with a creek and plenty of bush and that valley has big cats in it so the deer would rather live uptop on the farm land.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.