The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gold medal at the Agritechnica was awarded to New Holland for their Grain Cam system.

This is a quote, again from the DLG.

broken grain and NGC sensor

Optimising a combine setting is always a compromise between work output and work quality. If the throughput is to be increased, the threshing and separating elements must be set more intensively (high speeds and low gap widths), but this is limited by increasing broken grain components.

Sub-optimal setting of the cleaning leads to a high proportion of non-grain constituents (NGC) in the corn. The combine operator has so far only been able to assess these circumstances visually and therefore has the difficult task of deciding whether work performance and work quality match and correspond to the requirements of the farmer and the agricultural supplies trade. Grain Cam is a sensor that makes it possible for the first time to measure both the broken corn component and the NGC component in the corn with the aid of image analysis. The sensor is housed at the side on the grain elevator. A part of the product flow is guided continuously over the sensor and flow is stopped during measurements. The integrated camera then captures the image and the evaluation electronics calculate the broken faces of grains and non-grain constituents in the image and compute the broken corn and NGC component in the corn from the results.

The sensor then provides the combine operator with measurement values for optimising work performance and work quality of the combine for the first time and is thus a milestone in the development of combine sensor technology.

www.dlg.org

www.agritechnica.com

What do you all think? Something you really need, or just another hightech feature that you have to pay for?

The Wanderer

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Someone thought that MOG wasn't good enough so now its NGC, which can also be Natural Gas in Coal in Canada. Which is CBM (coalbed methane) in the US. Basically, New Holland is trying to kill the world. Thats how I see it!

Actually I don't think New Holland or CNH or even Fiat is trying to kill the world. I DO think that the art of setting a combine will not be necessary in the future, the art of programming and fixing computers, however, will be a necessity.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Interesting... I agree with your point! I bet in 10 - 15 years my IT/programming skills will find more to do on the farm than wrench-flipping skills will

-Christian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts