The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at buying a grain cart at an auction but its a few hundred kilometers away. Wondering if the f550 at the farm could handle pulling it home down the highway, maybe with a little weight on the deck to help with control. Cart would be a 1000bu.

Thanks!

-B

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've done it with a old heavy Dodge 3500 Rossag dealer service truck. Just went slow and planned my accel/decel speeds way ahead of changes and situations.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
When we sold our Unverferth 1000bus the guy picked it up with a F350, I have pulled carts with my 1 ton, braking power isn't great but its possible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pulled a 700 bu cart 400 miles with a half ton Chevy 50 mph down state highways. Just make sure you give the people in front of you lots of room. Cart starts bouncing at 30 mph once you hit 40mph it smooths right out

·
Registered
546 Posts
we have items pulled from yard often by commercial drivers, they say now the DOT rules are unit pulling must weigh at least 30% of unit pulled

·
Registered
100 Posts
Add deck weight just above the wheels for best effect.
If the grain cart is light on the front, maybe add a few pounds close to the hitch to minimize bounce.
Add some washers at the hitch to minimize how much it can bounce up and down.
Match draw pin and hitch hole sizes as best possible.
You may want to let a bit of air out of grain cart tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts