The Combine Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
To be honest. The cart driver is king in the field. You have to keep at least two combines going.
trucks full.
No spilt grain.
jump out to roll tarps.
Hurry up Jump back in cuz combines are full.
come back through the field the right way.
make sure your allway in the right spot when combine is dumping.
If not you get a strip Torn off your A$$.
and no spilt grian.
oh I say that already.
so a grian cart driver is a very important assist.
a combine driver? That’s for another thread.
Did some one on here have a poem about a grian cart driver.
That poem pretty much Sums up a grain cart driver.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
To be honest. The cart driver is king in the field. You have to keep at least two combines going.
trucks full.
No spilt grain.
jump out to roll tarps.
Hurry up Jump back in cuz combines are full.
come back through the field the right way.
make sure your allway in the right spot when combine is dumping.
If not you get a strip Torn off your A$$.
and no spilt grian.
oh I say that already.
so a grian cart driver is a very important assist.
a combine driver? That’s for another thread.
Did some one on here have a poem about a grian cart driver.
That poem pretty much Sums up a grain cart driver.
King?
Sounds more like a slave to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A good cart driver makes or breaks the productivity of a multi-combine crew. Good driver is thinking 5 steps ahead, is thinking "where are those combines going to be when I get to them" not "I'm going to drive to that combine now". One former cart driver I knew would follow the combine around blocks, going 3/4 of the way around by the time they caught up, rather than going the opposite direction and meeting them in 1/4 of the time. Driver needs to be analyzing what the quickest way is to hit all machines in the least travel distance, and make it back to the truck in time without making the truck late for the next load. When things are going good, sometimes it's more efficient to force a combine to sit full and wait for a few mins, than to go out of the way and empty it as soon as possible. Good cart operators need to see that.

OP's case is different. I'll throw out a different option for you to consider, though it depends what equipment you're running, what you grow, and yields, and how much cash is burning in your pocket. Get a cart, upgrade one combine. Sell the other if you have to, but ideally, keep it for backup / tough conditions / canola. Lots of variables but, you might be better off having a cart sit in the field for the one combine to dump on, catching the combine on-the-go when you're not on the road hauling. Dumping on the go is a jump in efficiency for that combine, no threshing time lost travelling and dumping. Park the truck at the bin and haul with the cart for fields close to home, then you can dump on the go every round. To make that happen in good conditions, cart guy has to hustle, big auger and big bins help, and PTO cart helps as well. hydraulic driven are slow.

Canola is where you'd want to have that second combine since it's slower going with less time spent moving grain home, so if you can swing it, keep two around. Agreed on the comment about splits when running peas through cart, though we do it and it's not bad. I'd be more concerned when the peas are dry.

Whether you get the 1000bu cart or tandem trailer, you end up adding the same amount of 'holding capacity' in the field. But only the one gives you the advantages that a cart does.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts