The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So due to the lovely weather we have been blessed with, we are kicking around the idea of getting a grain cart. Only really a 2 man operation around here as far as harvest goes, my brother and myself. Fields are getting so soft and wet, I can't get into most fields now. Plan is to get a cart, even though I will have to drive it and the truck myself (I know, I'm good right!!!). Not looking for new by any means, but looking around on a few sites to see what is out there. My lord man!!!!! The prices on these new ones! Getting close to the 200,000 mark! Knock a zero or two off that, now that's what we're shooting for! Not really looking for advice or suggestions, have a few in our sights, but willing to hear the good and bad out there. Just couldn't believe the prices! Not sure why I was so shocked, nothing is really "cheap" any more.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I got a J&M 750 last yr used from a dealer. I had it on hydraulic drive. Never had a tractor with a big 1000 pto so I lived with it not knowing the difference. Bought a yoke with a small 1000 end and put it on and love the cart now. I paid 24G for it and it was a great deal for the shape it was in. The gearbox was freshly redone and has been trouble free. They are a ridiculous price yes!! So are baggers. Couldn't find a 10' used anywhere last yr and had to buy a new Brandt. With all the drying I have been doing the cart has came in handy. Last yr I hauled from the dry bins to the bagger a 100 yds away. The only option I had anyway unless I spent even more on a bagger that unloaded trucks as well. Good news is it won't depreciate much if you buy used. I bought in the harvest season as well but what can you do. you need it so you get it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You must be just looking at the 2000bu carts. Couple years ago, new 1000bu were a third of that, or less.

A cart still adds value to a two man operation. For nearby land, you could park the truck at the auger and haul combine to bin with the cart.

If you're comparing brands, I thought the Brandts looked better built overall than the J&M. Though I prefer the way the J&M rests the auger on the front, the Brandt swings it back along the side and you can't see it from the cab. Didn't really look at anything else.

Not sure what you have for a combine but the Brandt is noticeably taller, gotta really watch auger clearance in draws and hills.

Getting the bigger tires is nice for floatation and stability, but pricey. If you've got a tractor to run it, PTO unload is a lot faster than hydraulic.

·
Registered
259 Posts
One thing to consider that a lot of guys overlook is hitch weight. Just make sure your tractors drawbar is up to the task. All cart mfg’s will have literature on tongue weight.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If your budget extends to it look for one w bogey axles; it’ll save your drawbar weight and save the banging around all day...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I bought a 1000 bushel J&M from a retiring neighbor a few years ago. Best investment I have made for our harvesting. We cut 10k acres with three people (yes we have a large harvest window here) and it takes the place of an extra truck in the field and keeps the combine rolling. Paid 20K for it. I guess I didnt realize what a deal that was.

Also, I put a scale kit on ours. Really happy with it. Easy to calibrate yield monitors, load trucks legal, and we know exactly what's in the bin.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
Kevlar you should be able to find a pretty nice cart in the $30,000 range. Make sure it has lots of rubber under it. I bought a older 1200 bushel kinze cart 4-5 years ago fairly cheap. It sits more than it gets used. When it is dry we use our triaxle trailers. When it gets wet it is a nice option to turn to and it is something we could sell and get our money out of if we didn't want it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
bought an old Brent feq years ago from zettler in Portage he has a lot of used ones there was 14000 2 man operation here as well haven't put a dime into it other than grease as was said I use it right from combine to bin lots if within a mile or can pick up with it till semi is full then he dumps in cart cheapest second truck u can buy be hard to go back to no cart now

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
We bought a cart a few years ago when it was wet and didn’t want trucks in the field, now we use the cart all the time. Unloading on the go gains us about 30 percent more acres every day. Having Libra on the cart we know how many tonnes we harvest off each field and helps us calibrate our combines.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
So due to the lovely weather we have been blessed with, we are kicking around the idea of getting a grain cart. Only really a 2 man operation around here as far as harvest goes, my brother and myself. Fields are getting so soft and wet, I can't get into most fields now. Plan is to get a cart, even though I will have to drive it and the truck myself (I know, I'm good right!!!). Not looking for new by any means, but looking around on a few sites to see what is out there. My lord man!!!!! The prices on these new ones! Getting close to the 200,000 mark! Knock a zero or two off that, now that's what we're shooting for! Not really looking for advice or suggestions, have a few in our sights, but willing to hear the good and bad out there. Just couldn't believe the prices! Not sure why I was so shocked, nothing is really "cheap" any more.

There is only two of us here as well, we had a cart and sold it. 2 combines so its just easier to dump in semis rather then to cart and then to semi anyway. Just my $0.02. Plus with strippers, driving thru the field is a no no.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just a FYI if you have a properly calibrated scale on cart, and put everything through it, lots of insurance companies will use that info instead of measuring bins.
I don’t know. Because I have a truck scale and crop insurance would not recognize the wights. So they Measured the bins. But if some one else weighed the grain they would take that. But not yours. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So might be going to look at a J+M 750-14 tomorrow. It has a pto on it, but the front wheel assist 110 horse might be too small for it. The dealer said they are easily converted to run with hydraulic. Our 4 wheel drive is a 9680 Ford New Holland, which is on the low side for hydraulic flow to run the cart, it will run it he says, just not as fast. To my understanding, if they put the hydraulic kit on it, you can switch back and forth fairly easily, is that correct? What do you guys think? Is there any things with these carts that give problems? Sounds like it's in good shape.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So might be going to look at a J+M 750-14 tomorrow. It has a pto on it, but the front wheel assist 110 horse might be too small for it. The dealer said they are easily converted to run with hydraulic. Our 4 wheel drive is a 9680 Ford New Holland, which is on the low side for hydraulic flow to run the cart, it will run it he says, just not as fast. To my understanding, if they put the hydraulic kit on it, you can switch back and forth fairly easily, is that correct? What do you guys think? Is there any things with these carts that give problems? Sounds like it's in good shape.
we have a J&M, love the cart, no problems since we owned since new (2008). Just don't release too much horsepower on the cart as they we're really build to be dragged around by 350+ horses i think. Ya you can swap from hydraulic to pto easily, we run ours pto so much nicer and faster than hydraulic.
I think a 110 horsepower FWA can run a 750 no problem just don't go into water with a full load.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts