The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one combine and am generally short handed therefore never saw the value of a grain cart. But after doing the peas the last few days the fields are WET! And there are places u just don't go in tandem , on that case alone could u justify a grain cart? I've never looked at them at all and would have to run hyd because my 4 wheel drive doesn't have a pto. What would be some of the other advantages , disadvantages?

·
Registered
351 Posts
First time I ever helped out driving a grain cart was in a wetter year than we have now, and it would have been near impossible to harvest without one. No way the combines could have unloaded on the roads like we had to do with the cart, no way trucks could have got into a position so the combines could unload. Like it is said, once you have one, you won't be getting rid of it soon.

Also, the one I ran was off hydraulics, and the only issue was pushing the unload too hard and the hydraulics would kick out. Then you would have to close the gate and empty the auger and start again. Once you figured out the sweet spot it was no problem.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My Friend has one 9750 STS and one tandem semi trailer and he has a 800 bu cart. Gives the combine something to unload into when truck is getting unloaded. And at $20k it's cheaper and less matainence than another truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I cannot imagine harvesting without a cart. It seems like it would be very inefficient. We are running 2 800 bu carts to one 9770 in corn now. In half mile runs of good corn you need 2. We usually only use 1 in soybeans or wheat but have used 2 when short on trucks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Even when you are alone a cart can be nice. Just park it there and the truck guy will unload it when he'll come. Wait a lot less for the truck to arrive

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If you don't like it or need it you can always sell it, but I would expect if you do get one you will own it for the duration of your farming career.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I cannot imagine harvesting without a cart. It seems like it would be very inefficient.
We ran for years with 1 or 2 combines (9600's) and a single tandem truck. Dumped "on-the-go" into the truck so the combines never (rarely) stopped. Not much room for efficiency improvements there!

Then the combines got bigger. We needed 2 tandems going to keep up.

We've run a cart for the last 6 or so years and it is sure hard to beat!

Yes, you can put anybody on a cart, but if you want efficiency, put your best on the cart. A good cart operator gets to see every combine, every corner of the field. He can let you know if you missed a short swath somewhere in the night dust. Can anticipate when/where/what order to unload combines to keep everyone moving.

Our cart is 700+ bus. One night we had 4 machines running in 40 bu canola on a wide open 1/2 section: 9860, 9770, 8010, 9600. He'd grab 2 machines, head for the truck. Grab the other 2, head for the truck. Repeat. That cart never quit moving! I'm still not sure when he found time to eat supper that night???

Andrew

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
We got one last year in the dry old sw sask .it sped things up with combine never stopping.This fall has been super wet and trucks stay in approach or parked at bin if close enough. We would taken out drive lines or something if we had to run tandems in field

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can't agree more with what seems to be the consensus here. I would not want to go back to the way we use to do it. In fact I am not sure how we managed before. I don't think you will regret getting a cart.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How do people find the Bourgault 750 cart?
What is another low maintenance cart you would recommend?

Thinking about buying a cart for the first time this year too due to mud.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have a Brent 780 and Brent 782. They are well built and we like them, but there are cheaper options out there. I am not familiar with others. We borrowed a j&m and it was ok. I really like the pivoting spout on the Brent.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Really check over the knuckles and flighting on bg 750 there have been issues. There are alot more brent,unferverth or j &m around for a reason

·
Registered
484 Posts
How do people find the Bourgault 750 cart?
What is another low maintenance cart you would recommend?

Thinking about buying a cart for the first time this year too due to mud.
Had one several year when they first came out. Used it for two years and it was a very good day when it went down the road with a new owner. Hydraulic drive plugged very easily, then you had to dump a pile of grain on the ground to unplug auger. Lot of grain left in cart that would not auger out. Bourgault claimed one five gallon pail but it was more like 10 pails. It does not hold 750 bushel no matter what Bourgault claims.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just bought a brent 882 and have never owed or used a cart before, do I have to fold the auger down when driving around field and just fold it up when time to unload, or can I put it up and leave it up.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We just bought a 1282 Brent and am wondering how do you judge how much to open the gate to maximize your output on a hydraulic driven auger? Looking for tips on how to run a cart as this is my first cart.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I just bought a brent 882 and have never owed or used a cart before, do I have to fold the auger down when driving around field and just fold it up when time to unload, or can I put it up and leave it up.
We always fold ours but I see many that never fold it in the field. Don't think it matters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wet years. Can't say enough good. Dry. Might not help much. Noticed one good cart can pay itself off in a year. Not solution but can cure problem. Wet years cause too many issues

·
Registered
155 Posts
We just bought a 1282 Brent and am wondering how do you judge how much to open the gate to maximize your output on a hydraulic driven auger? Looking for tips on how to run a cart as this is my first cart.
Have an 882 pto. Can judge pretty easy. Semi starts moving when too quick. Our cart 400 lbs per second wide open. Yours guessing 650. Too much weight per second. Wreck something on semi. Once you can unload and semi not bounce. Good. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts