The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pulling our 1596 Brent cart with our 9620rx the last couple years. Don’t really like houring them up in the cart. Plan to keep them for quit a while for seeding.
If we go to a wheeled tractor with 800’s, will we be disappointed with the width of the tractor? Or no big deal? Not sure I want to remove duals. Thinking around 450-500hp.
Tractor will also get used in spring for roller, disc etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We had 710’s on our 485 case and it was a little bit wider than the cart 900’s and pretty tight to the headder when unloading but you get used to it quickly. As long as you don’t have short augers on the combine you should be able to fill the middle of the cart.

Qt eliminated the stress of watching out for the headder. Not a necessity but definitely nicer to operate.

·
Registered
594 Posts
we pull a 1394 brent behind a 9230 chipped to 380 hp with 620 duals. Width is perfect for us as the cart is just a smidge wider than the tractor and the combine usually has a 45 ft head on it. We have enough hills where I like to have a little leeway. 800 duals should be fine though. neighbor runs 40 foot drapers on JD combines and their cart tractor has 800 duals. 45 foot header and 800 duals might be pushing it, but between angled spouts and auger extensions there are some things you can do on the combine side to get a few extra feet.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We went from a Quadtrac to dual 710’s for our cart tractor and actually feel that lining up with the semi was actually easier but not as handy moving grain around the yard.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had a quick demo in one at Ag in Motion a couple years ago. When using on cart, do you control speed with foot pedal all day ?
Run a Xerion 5000 on 2000 Elmers cart here as well. Usually set in foot pedal mode, but cruise as well. I usually back combine off by a touch and have cart guy lock cruise, positioning auger with combine. Saves me headaches, as I'm in the combine. Runs easy in foot pedal mode for inexperienced drivers.

710/75 Duals are about 1.5 feet wider than cart tracks. 40' okay, 45' too squeaky tight if trying to centre the auger with Lex780TT. Can be done, but accident will happen inevitably.

By far and away my best ever cart tractor.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Run a Xerion 5000 on 2000 Elmers cart here as well. Usually set in foot pedal mode, but cruise as well. I usually back combine off by a touch and have cart guy lock cruise, positioning auger with combine. Saves me headaches, as I'm in the combine. Runs easy in foot pedal mode for inexperienced drivers.

710/75 Duals are about 1.5 feet wider than cart tracks. 40' okay, 45' too squeaky tight if trying to centre the auger with Lex780TT. Can be done, but accident will happen inevitably.

By far and away my best ever cart tractor.
When me and one of my employees demod it, we thought it might be a pain to run that foot pedal all day? Guess you would get used it?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I personally like the two track models on a cart, you don’t have to watch the headers as much and maneuverability is great.
I think they are one of the toughest tractors for a cart you have no steering pins to wear or hinge pins

·
Registered
358 Posts
When me and one of my employees demod it, we thought it might be a pain to run that foot pedal all day? Guess you would get used it?
For an inexperienced driver it is ideal. You can also switch it to joystick mode if you want, where you can use the joystick to accelerate and decelerate in addition to the foot pedal. That one, I find, is a little trickier because you have to remember to stop, not as intuitive as taking your foot off the gas.

Either way, you set the cruise and use it lots too in the field, so it's not bad.

For loading trucks the foot pedal is definitely the easiest. You can just creep that thing in either direction with precision.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
In my experience a quadtrac is nicest for width, 620 duals also work great if you run them closer together, they are usually narrower than the cart. 710 duals are also no problem, slightly wider but most modern/larger carts don't have to be too close to the semi. I don't think id enjoy 800 duals, they are usually spaced wider for tillage/seeding applications too. Personally for a mid HP tractor like that with low draft requirements I would take a serious look at Goodyear LSW 1250s or 1400s.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In my experience a quadtrac is nicest for width, 620 duals also work great if you run them closer together, they are usually narrower than the cart. 710 duals are also no problem, slightly wider but most modern/larger carts don't have to be too close to the semi. I don't think id enjoy 800 duals, they are usually spaced wider for tillage/seeding applications too. Personally for a mid HP tractor like that with low draft requirements I would take a serious look at Goodyear LSW 1250s or 1400s.
I have talked to some tire guys in the states. The 1400’s are about $70,000 cad. So to put on a used tractor, it’s a bit cost prohibitive. I like the idea though.

Width of track tractor is 10.5’, 800’s 15.5’ and our cart is about 12’ wide.

Found another tractor with triples, thought that might work with removing outer tire for cart.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We used to run a 4WD tractor on the grain cart. Dual 800's. 45' headers. It was a bit on the tight side. Added an extender spout for another 18" of grain throw, and that was a very valuable piece of real estate. 40' headers would have been plenty of room for the length of the Claas combine unload auger. Unloading on the semi was tight and no room for error. The height of the tractor was nice to be able to see the top level of the semi unloading though.

Have since put a JD 8430 with duals all around and the big weight package with IVT transmission on the 1150 bushel cart. The IVT is an awesome transmission and would not go back. Its a perfect cart tractor for that size of cart. My 16 year old daughter drove the cart part time this year, it's so easy to run. She had no prior experience.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have talked to some tire guys in the states. The 1400’s are about $70,000 cad. So to put on a used tractor, it’s a bit cost prohibitive. I like the idea though.

Found another tractor with triples, thought that might work with removing outer tire for cart.
I know a couple of guys that have triples on their tractor and remove the outer ones they say it works good like that. The triples are off the tractor most of the time since it’s mostly a utility 4wd.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts

The 1400s are in high demand, 1250s would be cheaper i'm told. I know someone that did a tug of war with identical tractors, 800 duals vs 1250LSW, and it was a tie.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Drylandfarmer did you add the spout from Stewart steel and if so how much extra width do you think you gained?
Yes. Added the Stewart Steel spouts. Gained 18 inches.

There is also a spout that I heard available from Claas. In the pictures I have saw of them they look like they hang down a bit too far from my liking.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Pulling up to the combines is never an issue, it's unloading.

We run Deere R series tractors, have the 800 IF's, that the widest dual tire combo you can possibly get, as they space the tires even wider than the cheapo 800's, you can unload, but make sure you don't plan on steering too much when you pull up to the truck. We have about 1.5' clearance with our setup, actually, as crazy as it sounds, we really like it, because we know you gotta be darn close to the trucks, so really it's easy to unload as you're so close, it's easy to guess the distance. Now if the guys can just learn how to control that 22" diameter schlong, I wouldn't have any spills ever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts