The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southern Manitoba had another incident of a fellow who entered his bin and was buried by grain. Just thought I would post it as a reminder of the the risks of entering a bin as this incident happens far too often. Many neighbours tried to uncover the guy but failed.
This is that part of the year where we sometimes climb up and check for crusts on top or snow. If any of your workers have taken grain out of bins it is best to know before hand encase there is a void in the bin. I have never gone on top when the auger is going but there must be a lot of downward suction to bury a man.
Lets stay safe and smart about looking after our grain. Pretty sad for the farm family.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
That sucks man. Happened in this area 10 years ago.
This year that could happen to me and I might get a boot full

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Please explain how this happens. Is it when higher moisture grain forms a void from unloading and then collapses with the extra weight or can it happen in dry grain. Terrible thing to happen. Cant say I have ever experienced anything like it

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Usually happens when condensation forms a wet layer on top of the grain that either freezes or molds or sticks together then grain is unloaded leaving a bridge across the void. Someone walks on it it collapses burying the person. Another way is going in the bin while unloading. The suction sucks you down faster then you can scramble out

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I've only had to enter a bin that had been partially unloaded only once, and in hind sight I was lucky that despite clumps of heated peas, there were no voids. If I ever have to enter a bin like that in the future, I'd wear a harness and be tied off at the top of the bin with as little slack as possible.

Definitely avoiding the situation of heated grain is always best, but it's not always possible. I've heard of guys getting killed when unloading through a door in the side of the bin and the corn above bridged and they were trying to poke at it to get it to fall down.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have considered it to be safe to enter a bin that has not had any grain removed from it. Am I mistaken? Is there any scenario whereby one could be entrapped in undisturbed grain?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Generally I’d say yes but flax can have a quicksand nature to it it I’ve heard.
I've never grown flax but was in a neighbours bin quite a few years ago as it was at the point of shovelling and have never been in a bin of any other crop that reacted like that, just like you said Don it felt like I was in quick sand as I didn't stop sinking as I struggled to keep up. Obviously I was not in a dangerous situation as the depth was not deep enough but that was an eye opener.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've always heard of this happening but never experienced it because all we've ever farmed is rice and we don't own any grain bins. A couple of years ago I was helping my buddy harvest corn and we had to tarp a truck and one of the tarp racks was messed up and keeping the tarp from rolling over. My ignorant ass jumps in the truck of corn to walk to the tarp rack and I sunk up to my chest before I grab the closest tarp rack. I'll never get in a truck of corn again. Rice packs down in a truck, grain cart, combine, whatever and you can walk across it with no issues but corn doesn't pack but I didn't know that because I've never really been around it that much. Never again will I jump in a truck without checking first.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
With regards to flax, It is the most "liquid" grain/oilseed that I ever handled in my 25 years working in the elevator system but not as bad as I had heard. In my experience, in something like a truckload or loaded bin, or hopper car (NOT moving), you will sink to about your knees. If you are in a bin shovelling where the flax is deeper at one end than the other and you go to the "deep" end you will sink a bit further as the flax will "flow" to the shallow end a bit. I shovelled a fair bit of flax over the years and crawled around in loaded hopper cars and this was my experience.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've always heard of this happening but never experienced it because all we've ever farmed is rice and we don't own any grain bins. A couple of years ago I was helping my buddy harvest corn and we had to tarp a truck and one of the tarp racks was messed up and keeping the tarp from rolling over. My ignorant ass jumps in the truck of corn to walk to the tarp rack and I sunk up to my chest before I grab the closest tarp rack. I'll never get in a truck of corn again. Rice packs down in a truck, grain cart, combine, whatever and you can walk across it with no issues but corn doesn't pack but I didn't know that because I've never really been around it that much. Never again will I jump in a truck without checking first.
In that case, corn is WAY worse than flax. If you jumped REAL: HIGH into a load of flax you MIGHT get to your waist. I can't see how you could get to your chest in flax unless it is moving

1 - 16 of 16 Posts