• Tarps closed, airbags full

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Tarps open, airbags empty

Votes: 23 85.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When unloading grain at an elevator, gates wide open, I was told to open tarps so they don't get sucked down from grain vacuum. Also dump air bags so they don't over inflate and explode.
Has anyone seen either of these things happen, have pictures of it?
What do other ppl do tarped or open. Air bags inflated or deflated?
Thanks.

· Registered
867 Posts
Air dump is right next to my tag lift so I usually do it. If I start dumping then go back and open the tarp a bit it sucks it in so I can see where that would be hard on things. Of course it matters how fast you are dumping. Probably not as critical when the leg is less than 3-4 thousand bu a hr. The new elevators with the 25,000 b/hr legs it's better to crack the tarp.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Tarps are always open here because of the probing station (unless it's in a heavy rain or snow or something). At least I always crack them before opening the gates wide open. All trailers are vented but the vents aren't nearly as big as the gate. And we always dump the air bags. Doesn't take any extra time really. At the elevators we go to, we open one gate at a time wide open. The pit will hold a full super B for the most part. P&H's leg is fast enough that it elevates as fast as a fully-open gate will dump. Pretty impressive.

· Registered
526 Posts
Open tarps for probe. Stay open till get back to yard unless raining or snowing. Never dump air bags, never had an issue.

Custom trucker friend told me years ago he leaves tarps closed when empty as fuel mileage a bit better. I noticed he no longer does that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Registered
472 Posts
If the wind is blowing the right/wrong way, having the tarps open with an empty trailer will prevent a 500 hp truck from maintaining 100 km/h while pulling a super B. And that was not a 100km/h wind either. So keeping tarps closed will give better fuel mileage in most if not all conditions.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
If the wind is blowing the right/wrong way, having the tarps open with an empty trailer will prevent a 500 hp truck from maintaining 100 km/h while pulling a super B. And that was not a 100km/h wind either. So keeping tarps closed will give better fuel mileage in most if not all conditions.
Yes. And the problem is the only guy that cares the truck is burning extra fuel is the guy paying the bills.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
I don't know if all trailers have a warning sticker by the crank handles to open the tarp first for the traps but mine do and for a good reason, just isn't enough air flow in the vents to allow for air to enter as the grain leaves if even one slide is opened all the way. Typically most elevators have probes these days but if its raining and close the tarp after because of waiting in a line, then forget to crack the tarp open .. bad things sure can and do happen. I always dump the air on the trailer as I don't trust it not stressing out the airbags and just don't need to have a failure. Almost every custom trucker or farmer I see dumps their air before unloading. My trailer manual however doesn't say anything one way or the other over the topic. I don't dump the truck air as it seems a tridem trailer doesn't affect the truck as much plus the fact that I only open up both slides part way due to lack of pit width and grain hitting the grate and flying off to the sides since the elevators around here designed their pits for super b trailers with two traps close together. If dumping into a 13" auger then there is no need to open the tarp on trailers that have a vent system, I don't believe the old trailers of years ago had any vents at all.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
I always dump my airbags on trailer but not truck. 2 leveling valves on my truck only one on trailer. My trailer has vents but always cracked it as I didn’t want to take a chance if it was froze up or something strange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts