The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone recommends for a moisture/bushel weight tester.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Model 919 digital
but it will only do moisture so still need separate bushel weigher if you want to know bushel weight

·
Registered
407 Posts
The new ones at elevators now (can’t remember brand) would be ideal but there 5-6x the cost.

I took canola and wheat samples to 3 Elevators last fall. Our 919 (4 years old not digital). Canola 9.5 and wheat 14 on our meter. 1 elevator was about the same with there new age one. One elevator was 11 on canola and 15 on wheat. Third elevator was in the middle with same fancy tester. Same big zip lock bag samples, same day, travelled in back of truck so temp the same.

???

I’m glad we didn’t spend the money on the new age one. It’s a crap shoot.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

We got one of these and would never go back to a 919 for any money. The bench GAC would be right in there too.
Best bang for the buck no but that's sure not where I'd spare a few bones.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We bought the Perten to test faster and get bushel weight. Very expensive. None of us trust this tester yet after 2 years. We still keep a 919 on each farm to verify our results. Neither one work very well out of the drier or if it's really cold but still cant go wrong with the old 919!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Buy the App for the 919. It lets you test cold grain. When testing grain coming off a dryer you have to allow for a moisture bounce of a minimum of 1/2 a percent. The Pertan seems to be a bit better at catching the bounce.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it doesn't matter what you have just as long as its repeatable. we have a list of the elevators machines and grain type and how there's vary from ours. surpriseing amount of variation

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I would love to have an affordable protein tester.

I have bought 4 used 919, not one worked and same price to repair as replace, the one i spent a grand to fix didn't last long either.
919's are super simple, maybe half a dozen electrical components in them, all easily replaceable. There's no way anyone should have charged you a grand for repairs. I'm curious what all they claimed to have done for that price!

As for reliable, our 919 is over 30 years old and still is working well and is still consistent with the grain elevator's fancy system. We've never abused it but it hasn't been treated gently either. I expect it to function for decades yet.

I can understand the old ones with vacuum tubes failing over time, but not the "newer" ones. The solid state classic units are electrically extremely simple and reliable. Can't speak to the newer digital ones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We have a 919. Always was bang on with local elevator when they also used a 919. Now they have a perten back there and results vary. Perten was a whole point higher in the last oats I hauled. Anybody else see this? Took in samples of canola and it was exact same as my tester but in the oats it was a point tougher. This is testing out of the same sample bag.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the automated 919 and it works great, it is always within .2 or the same as any sample i have taken to any elevator! it also has the weight chart integrated into it, so you just have to input the grams per1/2 litre, and it will give you the bushel weight! Simple, easy, reliable and affordable!

·
Registered
96 Posts
A few years ago I was hoping to find a tester that was portable and I could use out at the bin or field. Bought both the Prairie Grain Analyzer (PGA) and the GAC at the farm show. Tried them both but decided to stay with the PGA because it was metal and seemed more durable. I bought a 2nd one the next year.

Last year they offered a free upgrade to their latest models. I absolutely love the new ones. I keep them at the auger when filling bins. It’s so easy to use so every load gets tested for moisture and bu weight so I don’t get surprises after. It’s rechargeable so I bring them home and plug them in every night.

I also use them when hauling out of bins even through the winter. They seem to be very accurate both on warm or cool days, and both with warm or cold grain. When it gets -5 or below I’d say it’s still within 1/2 a point. It’s avoided a lot of surprises going to the elevator especially out of aereation bins as the top can be tougher than expected.

They can give a printout of each test or they will send it to your phone through Wifi. We don’t have Wifi at the bin yards so I’ve never tried that feature. I hardly ever use the 919 any more and would never pay to refurbish it if it quit.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Get a portable tester to verify what your combine is reading or you can use when checking bins. John Deere makes one. Can't remember who makes it. My favorite one is also a protein tester. Made by grain sense. I have a simple scale to measure weight. Never had something that does both.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
That GrainSense unit looks interesting. However when I go to the local dealer's page to see how much it costs, I see "click here for a quote." That never gives me encouragement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bought a mini gac 2 years ago. Portable little unit. Comes in a foam briefcase. I've been very happy with it. Its been accurate everytime I compare samples with the elevator. It uses the same technology as the new machines the elevators use.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That GrainSense unit looks interesting. However when I go to the local dealer's page to see how much it costs, I see "click here for a quote." That never gives me encouragement.
Try to find a protein tester even close to it in price. It has seemed very accurate for me. It also tests oil and carbs. It takes 2 heads of grain to do a test. Or less.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pick whatever you want off the farm, but remember the Perten is the official tester in Canada. It is much more accurate than the 919, updates are done online. For those that have the auto 919, they have not been updated since the day they were made, and changes happened to the 919 machines last year. The Perten is far more accurate on things with seed coats, like oats are barley, they have a stronger radio wave to penetrate deeper into the seed. This is also a factor when testing grain out of the dryer as it gets deeper into the seed and reads leftover moisture more accurately.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts