The Combine Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I suppose the sample weight recommended for the 919 is mainly to adequately fill the cell. That's a good point about heavier grain not filling the cell as much and throwing off the measurement maybe.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Our 919 is pretty much bang on with every grain except oats at one elevator. We have a couple of mini GACs that ride around in the trucks at harvest and they are close also. Can calibrate them at the elevator using the same sample as them. Couple years ago my brother had one of them in checking the moisture against the elevators and did it a few time to get it close. The elevator had a different moisture reading every time they put it through the machine even though they used the same sample.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Another vote for 919.
If you can find a used one, take it into Dimo Labtronics in Winnipeg to check it out, I think they sell new also.
I think there is a reason most elevators still keep their 919's on the bench.
As for the hot out of the dryer concerns. The charts do only go up to 30 degrees C. But I have always had success "extending the chart" with the same moisture pattern if that makes sense; same for grain below 10 degrees.
As for that hot grain moisture, if you are dumping hot, you are going to be blowing off moisture with the heat. So it is still a bit of a guessing game what your final moisture will be no matter how accurate you measured moisture out the dryer is IMO
ya i think if you dump hot and then cool down in bin you can drop up to 2 points with corn anyways.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have a 919. Always was bang on with local elevator when they also used a 919. Now they have a perten back there and results vary. Perten was a whole point higher in the last oats I hauled. Anybody else see this? Took in samples of canola and it was exact same as my tester but in the oats it was a point tougher. This is testing out of the same sample bag.
Found the same at Sweetgrass oats . Full percentage higher then my 919. Maybe have try a new technology?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have always found by going to elevator to elevator that the moisture and bushel wight is always different.
My corn. 50lbs then the nexts guy is 52.5lbs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We have a 919. Always was bang on with local elevator when they also used a 919. Now they have a perten back there and results vary. Perten was a whole point higher in the last oats I hauled. Anybody else see this? Took in samples of canola and it was exact same as my tester but in the oats it was a point tougher. This is testing out of the same sample bag.
As I have mentioned, the Perten is more accurate on commodities with hulls, like oats, sunflowers, barley, and large seeds like corn. The radio waves that a Perten uses is almost twice as strong, so it can penetrate deeper into the seed. Also the reason that a Perten is more accurate when testing out of a dryer. A 919 might only be testing the hull moisture of the oat, while the Perten is getting through to the groat, same as dried grain, the 919 will only get so far into a seed, while the Perten is able to get deeper, finding the moisture the dryer didn't take out.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts