The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at updating my older 919 moisture tester. It spends its time in the dryer shed so portability is not needed. Anything better out there than a 919?

Talking to the elevator grading room they havnt used 919s for years. Its all new computerized protein and moisture testers, with huge price tags.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
What's wrong with the 919? It's still the gold standard that everything else is calibrated against. There are digital charts available for the 919, but really reading a paper chart is no big burden.

Having a protein tester would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
919 still industry standard as far as I know, just was looking at the CGC site and it is specifically mentioned. Most elevators I deal with still use one.
I have both a 919 and the Trimet 393 which works the same but is more portable.

If you have an older 919 send it in and have it gone thru and updated, be cheaper than buying new. I know you don't want the aftermarket upgrades, was something about someone adding a digital display or such, effected accuracy.

https://www.halross.com/English/contact.asp

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I’ve got the bench GAC ordered. I probably did a 1000 grain tests last fall/winter. I need to quicken that up.

The mini GAC is pretty decent it’s mobile and quick but isn’t as accurate as the old 919

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought a mini gac last year. Really like it. Can test anywhere. But if you don't need portability, the 919 is still very accurate and will be around for a long time

·
Registered
607 Posts
919 is way outdated and highly inaccurate as test weight goes up. There is a reason Viterra and some of the crushers haven't used them since 2017. Every line company we deal with today only uses GAC

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
In what manner is it automatic?[/QUOte

When your weighed sample is in the machine, it tells you the moisture and temp of the grain you selected. There are no books or charts to look at. Very quick and easy.

It is a little more expensive to buy, of course, but well worth it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was custom drying wheat last winter and delivering it to the local P&H last winter and any load that the protein/moisture tester showed tough the guy retested with the 919 and bought the load based on the 919 reading.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was custom drying wheat last winter and delivering it to the local P&H last winter and any load that the protein/moisture tester showed tough the guy retested with the 919 and bought the load based on the 919 reading.
My local elevator does that as well. They use the 919 for more accuracy when needed.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
The 919 is the standard in the industry. CGC uses them, and any elevator that I know of uses them, and when they have someone come out to calibrate the machines, they also use the 919.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do change/adjust the charts from time to time. Found that out the hard way one time. On the ones that are automatic, I assume there is a way to upload new charts if they are changed?

·
Registered
607 Posts
The 919 is the standard in the industry. CGC uses them, and any elevator that I know of uses them, and when they have someone come out to calibrate the machines, they also use the 919.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do change/adjust the charts from time to time. Found that out the hard way one time. On the ones that are automatic, I assume there is a way to upload new charts if they are changed?
Go ask your local concert what they use. Everyone has switched to GAC for accuracy reasons and speed couple years ago. 919 was great in there day just not so much now. Haul in 68lb wheat or 53lb Canola and see how accurate your 919 is. The rest of the world has been using the likes of GACs for years we where just slow to adapt in Canada. The thing about GACs is they adjust for weight and big temperature ranges- also store a endless amount of data

·
Registered
607 Posts
GAC 2500 is made by Dickey John and is a Unified Grain Moisture Algorithm tester. US has used them for years and CGC approved there use around 2015 or there abouts Everything about them is automatic and they test almost any type of grain you can think of for US or Canadian grade spec and calibration

1 - 20 of 29 Posts