The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking into/debating installing an aluminum walkway on the inside of a newer doepker tridem on the ladder side to make life easier and safer. I've found myself over the years needing to walk across the top to check the center hopper and its a little sketchy, don't really want to fall and break a leg or neck! has anyone ever done this (walkways, not broken bones lol!)? if so do you have any pictures of how you did it? If I weld any brackets I want to make sure its all on the cross bars and that it doesn't wreck any exterior paint. I plan on using aluminum deck span, 7"x 2" or 9.5"x2" .125". any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, maybe theirs a reason not to do this? I don't think it would interfere with loading or anything, and weight isn't a big deal (86lbs for the 9.5 deck span 45' long, plus brackets)

THANKS

·
Registered
880 Posts
Our old 80's vintage deopker had this. It was just a frame with expanded metal maybe 2 feet wide. I always thought it was a fantastic idea. Make sure you post some pics of what you come up with when your done.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Would it hold grain on it not clean out properly? Or do I have a different idea in my mind?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Have a wireless camera on my auger for when I am filling trucks. Best thing ever, rarely even need to climb the ladder, watch the air gauges and camera. Maybe could mount a camera in each hopper. Have seen some older trailers with the catwalk and have seen it listed on option sheets from Doepker.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Golden west trailers in Moose Jaw installs sight glasses(small round windows) so you can see what the level of the centre hopper is at. Ours has two, simple and works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good thoughts, thanks. I'll have to check and see if this walkway decking that I'm thinking of using would hold grain on top. that wouldn't be good, I don't want to create any extra work/headaches. The cameras are a great idea and fairly inexpensive, but I still get the feeling that there might come times where a guy needs to get up there and walk that narrow rail. I was thinking of installing cameras as well as this. I imagine that they would be awesome for loading in winter! I inquired about a walkway at the dealership I bought it from and they said they'd never heard of such a thing!?

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have them on all our trailers. They are 12” expanded metal and round pipe on each side, the pipe gets u clamped to the horizontal bars under the hoops and the ends are bolted to the trailer end wall. I have pics on computer I will get for you.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts