The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I could get some gear and rack for opening and closing trailer trap doors?

I have a frontier trailer. From what I can tell, they are out of business. No answer to email or phone. The local dealer does not stock anything and no longer sells new trailers, so I am told. I have stopped in their shop a few times and have gotten zero luck getting parts from them in the past. I gave up trying to go through them. Frontier did respond to a facebook message saying they are still in business, wondering if that was hacked.

Don't need frontier parts, I can modify generic stuff if needed.

My real problem is getting bearings replaced. Need to cut the door opener shafts apart to remove and install bearings. Bearings and ujoints are very froze on. Want to make sure I have all the parts available before I mess up and make the trailer useless. At the moment I am still using it.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think of roller chain, that should work great. If I can find small enough sprockets for chain. I already have the bearings and ujoints. Quit when I couldn't get them off the shaft before harvest last year.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Have a look if you can at a trailer that has the welded on drive chain ( I haven't even checked to see what series they tend to be, its either 50 or 60 ) and see if the shaft center line to underside of the slide plate are similar to that style or something entirely different. I am guessing yours is more like a finer tooth like a transmission gear and it runs on a machined length of corresponding teeth ( a rack ) . So are the bottom shaft bearings within pillow blocks that are bolted to the trailer so you can unbolt them and also the crank end of the shaft as well and work on it off the trailer and cut the bearings off trying not to nick the shaft.

By any chance is this the gears you would be looking for if you end up make a new shaft, just wondering if its a somewhat common item to a few trailer manufactures down there.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not Timpte gears. Finer teeth, more teeth. Very similar setup would be my guess. If timpte sold a rack, that would likely work. Maybe I could simply call up Timpte and find out.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Its hard to say then if they had their own gears made, would seem rather odd why they would go to that much trouble to reinvent the wheel. I guess Wilson is the other well known brand but there may be some other brands of steel trailers that could have used the same system and worth checking into I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Maurer door gears look just like Frontier gears. Give Demco a call about getting parts. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts