The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are talked about all the time but how do you tell the difference between a key stock and a slotted grate? No one has ever explained the difference to me. It is time I learn something new. Thanks for all the explanations in advance.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ok, I'll give it a go. A "keystock" grate is a fabricated type grate that basically has no adjustment. The only bolts it has are the ones to hold it up to the mounting flange on the cage. The openings are square and the main crossbars are made from a square "keystock" like material. They are very open in design and reasonably aggressive in action to seperate tougher material or longer straw.

The "slotted" grates are a formed grate that more resembles a piece of flat plate that has a few slots cut in it then rolled to a circlular form. It has, or rather should have, a set of cross bars that are of a channel design. These cross channels are removable, reversable, and adjustable in many ways. You can put the cross channels inside the grate and not cover any of the slots for a more aggressive action (though not as aggressive as the keystocks). Or you can put them on the outside and cover part of the slot to reduce the amount of material coming through and onto the cleaning system. Or you can completely remove them from the machine if you like, or set them anywhere in between any of those settings.

"Here", on my side of the hill, we have mostly given all the slotted grates to the scrap guy. On my trips to your side of the hill looking at used machines, I have found more slotteds than keystocks. I also found an amazing amount of standard rotors in newer machines over there. You can run either one in grain where you are at. But if you still have the 1400 series rotor cage, I would definately run the keystocks not matter what. If you have the 1600 series cage, (which bolts right into your 1400 machine) you can use either one depending on your conditions.

Hope I did ok on the explaination. Let me know if I did'nt and I can try again, or someone else will do a better job at the explaination thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I will have to look at the machine again but I believe from your description I would have the sloted grates. At least there are several channel irons bolted to the outside in about the middle of the slots. The machine has been upgraded to the 16 series cage. Has a standard rotor in it. Have a parts machine that has a edible bean rotor in it and was considering running it. After some discussion on here and in talking to the previous owner of the parts machine I plan on sticking with the standard rotor. I have the Kile rotor kit to install this year and looking forward to how that works out. The rotor seems to be a little out of balance so now is a good time to install the Kile kit and then rebalance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts