The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
wetfarmer, if your able to figure out which gun has the coupler end you like and is from Interlake, post the part number on here. I have a feeling it might be an Alemite simply because that is what they list for grease guns and I see they sell the ones with the check ball inside. I don't really know why they make them with or without but there must be a reason. Here's the link to the section I was looking at and the parts list.

Grease Guns and Accessories | Interlake Resources Inc. – 1-800-563-5055

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
...Just thinking about the ones that get stuck on from high pressure buildup... do any of these powered guns have a pressure relief valve to let the pressure off the hose? When I had those tips getting stuck on the zerks with my manual gun I never thought to try hitting the air release on top of the gun. Might have to try that next time. Probably won't work if the pressure is between the plunger and the tip though.... they need another release valve on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can get a manual pressure relief valve for the alemite. It fits in hole at a 90 degree to the hose. Couplers are ruined when forced off with pressure build up even a little. Can be the first nipple they grease. The more pressure they are under the tighter they bite.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Alemites are sold by Gregg's in Alberta. They have stores in Drayton, Edmonton, Calgary and a few more. Only grease gun I use. They last and the ends have never leaked. I also use Alemite grease zirks. Way stronger then the other crap out there.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Interesting, I see from the description that its possible to turn the coupler halves and release the pressure although that might be awkward to do compared to a relief system installed at the head of the gun like rdnk mentioned. So I wonder where in Canada that same coupler is sold or not as its hard to justify ordering a few to try out from the States, shipping, duty, this tax and that tax by importing.

soccerdad, that is what I came up with ... Greggs, as you may have seen from my writing the rep at Alemite although up here in Grande Prairie they don't stock much for ends and am not sure about the grease gun stock as I had not inquired about that yet. I have been using Lincoln pistol grip manual grease guns lately and they seem to work not bad, certainly not perfect though and have had one crap out on me, something went wrong inside the piston assembly and was hardly putting any grease out and yet seemed like I was greasing ( thats a very bad thing to have happen ). There are various grades of Alemite manual grease guns and do you happen to know which one you have been using with success ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's just amazing that we spend hundereds of thousands of dollars on equipment and a 3.00 grease gun end is one of our biggest woes.
We have the same problem down here in oklahoma.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
What I find odd is that I didn't think we used to have this many issues with grease gun couplers sealing on zerks. Is it possible that some of the zerk fittings are formed that out of whack compared to others that its half the problem ?. Combine that with cheap materials that some coupler internals seem to be made out of or that were never designed properly. I can be greasing one implement and the gun is sealing ok, then move onto something else and have nothing but problems and have to try another gun that may have a different brand or style coupler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found something new

I just bought an interesting coupler off eBay. Has a thumb lever which allows it to lock on or release from the cert. Haven't tried it yet. Thought it was worth a shot

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I just bought an interesting coupler off eBay. Has a thumb lever which allows it to lock on or release from the cert. Haven't tried it yet. Thought it was worth a shot
old thread I know but wondering how you went with it.
has anyone used GREASE FITTINGS - ALL NEW TECHNOLOGY 10,000 PSI NEVALEAK fitting and coupler.
would be expensive to change all the gear over and it still needs a dust cap, but would be the best seal.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
They look kinda neat but I could see alignment and orings giving issues, also if you don't grease regularly they would have a greater tendency to plug up and become unusable. Plus how much would they cost?

So far I'm really liking the LockNLube couplers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting, I see from the description that its possible to turn the coupler halves and release the pressure although that might be awkward to do compared to a relief system installed at the head of the gun like rdnk mentioned. So I wonder where in Canada that same coupler is sold or not as its hard to justify ordering a few to try out from the States, shipping, duty, this tax and that tax by importing.

soccerdad, that is what I came up with ... Greggs, as you may have seen from my writing the rep at Alemite although up here in Grande Prairie they don't stock much for ends and am not sure about the grease gun stock as I had not inquired about that yet. I have been using Lincoln pistol grip manual grease guns lately and they seem to work not bad, certainly not perfect though and have had one crap out on me, something went wrong inside the piston assembly and was hardly putting any grease out and yet seemed like I was greasing ( thats a very bad thing to have happen ). There are various grades of Alemite manual grease guns and do you happen to know which one you have been using with success ?
They only had one type at Gregg's when I bought mine. It was not any more money than any other ones. I think I paid about 20 dollars for it. Have had mine for about 10 years now. Did the same thing, emailed Alemite to find out where to get them. Last year I needed to replace the end. Ended up getting the heavy duty Alemite end. So far it has been impressive. Never leaks. I think the end cost me $10, but if it lasts as long or longer than the normal ones, I will not need another end for 20 years. It also grips real good for the tough to grease spots.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have tried many different tips over the last 15 years and BY FAR Snap On makes the best tip out there. They're about $12 and have lifetime warranty. It's a standard size tip so bulkiness is not an issue. Even on a worn or damaged zerk they will often still not leak. We service about 50 combines per year here in the shop and the tips last about 6 months then we just swap for a new one. They are a bit snug when new but rarely do we have trouble with pulling zerks off. But as far as guns go the favorite around here is a Deere 14V. I bought an 18V Snap On recently and it is just not as good as the Deere. The most annoying thing is the relief valve that shoots grease all over your leg when it stalls out!

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I've got a lock n Lube hanging on the wall and haven't put it on yet. I guess it will be a good test for it this spring on the drill. One thing is that it doesn't fit some places I need.

I have been using 10 000psi Dynalines on my M12 Milwaukee and they last about a year. They are still a little fat for some places so might have to have a look at the Snap on at some time.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Is there anybody on the prairies that stocks lock n lube tips? Sounds exactly what I am looking for.
At Ag Expo there was a guy from Saskatchewan selling them, Interlake Resources Inc. Toll Free: 800-563-5055 "Your Lighting Experts" | Farm Equipment, HID Lights, LED Lights, Drill Bits, Grease Guns, Shop Lighting| Interlake Resources, he sells LED lights and Alamite grease guns with the LockNLube and a little button at the end of the hose for one handed operation, seems like a neat idea but not sure how long it would last. I don't see the LockNLube on his website but he was selling them at the show for 38 bucks.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts