The Combine Forum banner

Grease Gun Ends. Are there any good ones?

68K views 125 replies 67 participants last post by  kevlar 
#1 ·
Getting very frustrated with the poor quality of grease gun end couplers. Most last only for a few zerks before grease is oozing out all over the place. Lincoln used to be our choice but now they've gone off shore for production and they're no better than the rest. It's so bad Lincoln doesn't even stamp their own name on their ends. They must be embarrassed. Can you get quality ends for grease guns made domestically? I don't care what it costs. Frustration and time wasting cost way more.

#9 ·
I used to get a grease gun end that had a neoprene insert in the seat and they would not only last a long time, they would mold to a somewhat buggered up grease zerk. I don't know what brand they were though as now when I get the same style with that neoprene in the seat, the darned thing wants to fold up inside and seals off the ball area on the zerk and just pressures up the gun. I've been getting the so called "genuine Lincoln" ends lately but they don't seem to seal well on some zerks even if they are in perfect shape, just because some are manufactured with a slightly different profile on the top of the zerk. The amount of grease I waste from it puking out all over the place and not knowing if I am getting any into the bearing ... well its frustrating.

#10 ·
@ Northern Farmer. Funny, Dad was just talking about those grease gun ends with the o-ring in the seat and how they were far superior to the cheap garbage out there now. We've been looking for them as well and were recently told that Acklands supply them. We haven't had the chance to check out Ackland's yet, but will be going there next time we run to the city.

#11 ·
Puckbag, it wouldn't hurt to check out Acklands although where I picked up the later ones ( and didn't work out so well ) were at both Gregg Distributors and Northern Metallic Sales. It seemed these cheep ones had soft jaws that wouldn't hold and mushed up like butter or the seal material was doing goofy things. Of course no company markings on them and I can bet where they were made though. Get some, try them and ether they work or they don't.

#18 ·
I've never had a high pressure 4 jaw work better and last longer than a 3 jaw.

We were swapping them weekly. The lincoln high pressure 4 jaws that is.

Then broke down and bough the huge $10 3 jaw ones and they last a couple months or more. Depends who all uses the gun. They can be a PITA to get off though and they are very large.

The NAPA Part number is 715-9572

#16 ·
Last grease gun I bought at John Deere (manual pistol grip) has been really good but I actually had to take off the heavy duty end and put a cheaper one on it. It gripped so hard that it kept ripping the grease zerks out of the machines. Yes, I tried tipping it as I pulled, but same issue. Maybe I just had a poor one, but I will say that it didn't leak grease.

#17 ·
I have had similar issues with some ends and I have had some success in getting them off by losening the tip where the two halves join together. It seems after you twist them to the side to remove them a few times they lose there ability to seal and start shooting grease out all over.

#19 ·
Because of the the high pressure that the air operated and battery operated grease guns create I agree it's hard to find ends that will last without leaking. What I try to do is save the grease gun with the no leak and easy off end for greasing the hard to get to places and the not so good for the easy to get spots. I know time is money but I find with using a hand pistol gun I use less grease and have less mess!

#21 ·
In my opinion, all grease guns and grease gun ends suck. We've started buying the cheapest ones we can find. They work about as long as the expensive ones and it doesn't hurt the pocket book so bad when you throw the cheap ones away and buy a new one.

If someone ever comes out with a grease gun that actually works and last, they will have a million dollar business and won't be able to keep up with production.

#23 ·
Try the "Alemite" brand. Priced about the same as a Lincoln. All of my Lincoln's would bypass the grease past the plunger if left on the rack for a week. You go to use it and think its empty except all the grease is on the wrong side of the plunger. Last time it did that it 'slipped' out of my hand and broke when it hit the floor. Spent more money on wasted grease than the gun was worth. Wouldnt use a Lincoln again if it was free.

I have had good luck with the Alemite's - I bought two of them five years ago and no problems. I bought mine because my father in law has a couple that are 15+ years old and still working good.

#25 ·
I was struggling again this fall with grease gun ends. The particular gun in my hands at the time and on a certain zerk and was puking out grease ( no damage on the zerk ) so I spun on a new end and so started the episode of the new one sticking onto the zerk so bad I just about broke it trying to get it off and then the brand new grease gun end wouldn't work as it puked out its guts ( it had a rubber internal seal ). Finally I had gone through my bag of gun ends and the whole batch was garbage and left me thinking back to this thread from last winter.

So it refreshed me that the name Alemite stood out as better then Lincoln and I did a search of the company and finally came up with a list of ends and to my surprise it does list more then one style as having the rubber seal and I will include the link to the page I was looking at.

Couplers - Hydraulic - Alemite

So my question is, does anyone know who handles Alemite in Alberta as I seem to run into ether Lincoln or some no name crap that is even worse. Or for that matter run across grease gun ends that are even better ?

#26 ·
So my question is, does anyone know who handles Alemite in Alberta as I seem to run into ether Lincoln or some no name crap that is even worse. Or for that matter run across grease gun ends that are even better ?
Same problem here, I would really like to try some out. Maybe I'll steal a couple from new grease guns in the store :rolleyes:. Why do they sell whole guns and not the couplers :confused:.
I bought some John Deere couplers the other day, they don't leak but one seems to have fallen apart already. I got both standard and heavy duty, so far it's the heavy duty one that's fallen apart. They have a four section jaw.

#28 ·
Good to hear I am not the only one having this problem. Been using Lincoln here for years but once a new one gets 6 months on it they p...s all the grease out past the plunger. Got sick of them so tryed JD they last even less, dad got so angrey he turned a plunger up & made an O ring to suit, now NO grease gets past that! Some one said they changed the make up of the rubber a few years back, & thats when our trouble started.
Have not come up with an end worthy of naming tho..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.