The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in others opinion on greasing the combine and how many of you stick to the recommended hours as to when you grease a bearing. I personally like to walk around and put a couple shots of grease in each zirk every morning, regardless of what JD says. Does anyone know if there is harm in doing this? Ive heard if you grease a bearing to much you'll push the dust cover out and dust can get in. We ran a 6620 T2 for years and I never saw a downside to daily greasings. Any harm on doing it with our 9500 ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We grease our combine every morning. We have a red combine but I don't think it would be any different. We have never had any problems with doing it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm a red guy, too, but I sort of stick to what the manual says. Each morning I grease the 10hr points, the 50hr points every third day, and the 100hr points whenever I feel like it (7-10 days, depending on how hard we've been working). The 200+hr points are greased before and after wheat harvest, and I hit them again between corn and milo. The exception to this schedule is the main rotor bearing, which I get every morning even though the manual says it's either a 50 or 100 hour zerk. I usually just put a couple pumps into everything, with the unloader swivel getting 4 each morning.

·
Registered
356 Posts
We run gleaners and I prefer to go on the side of over greasing. obviously 10hr points get it every morning. 50hr points i will grease every two or three days depending on how much the machine has ran. Rotor drive sheaves and coupler get greased liberally every morning. The wobble box is a big one in my mind. It gets greased well in the morning and often in the afternoon around 2-3pm and we have never had any problems with them. Im not sure about bearings but I know I only grease ujoints until you hear a popping noise and the grease barely comes out the seals. I would assume that it could be the same for greasable bearings too?

Matt

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It used to be a good business for shops when JD had zerks on the u-joints on the mfwd tractors. Seems that GREASE HAPPY MONKEYS who can't figure the difference between a little and too much would over grease those u-joints.

Talk to the service techs who have worked on your type of combine. They will tell you which bearings typically fail.

My theory is bearings with rollers in them need just a little bit of grease, whereas bushings need alot more grease. Matt's worry about the wobble box bushing I can concur with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I grease the combine every evening when I stop work as grease will go into warm bearings easier .It is also a good time to see if any bearings or belts are running hot and will give you notice if they are about to fail .It also means you can start work the next morning without being covered in dust and grease .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember back in the 60s when I was looking for my first combine to buy. The guy that owned it took red paint (green combine) and labled each zerk with big numbers and I mean BIG!!. At first I thought how can you do that to a nice peice of equiptment, but it did sure speed up lubbin it and knowing whitch one to do when.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
good in theory, but sometimes at 1 or 2 am you don't feel like greasing.

our machine usually gets the 10 hr grease jobs atleast once a day. the 50 hour grease job probably every 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive got a 9650 walker & a high speed grease gun its great for the walkers. but low speed for everything else on the combine .Its also great for planters & tilage but little bearings especialy the fan bearings are easy to take the seals out of with a electric or a manual gun trust me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive got a 9650 walker & a high speed grease gun its great for the walkers. but low speed for everything else on the combine .Its also great for planters & tilage but little bearings especialy the fan bearings are easy to take the seals out of with a electric or a manual gun trust me

·
Registered
356 Posts
I always use a Lincoln electric grease gun to service our machines in the morning. I would be willing to say it takes half the amount of time and your hand doesnt feel like its about to fall off by the time your done. That thing is a really nice thing to have.

Matt

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
sw, you will save even more time when you replace the jd aluminum walker bearings with the old style wood ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with giving the ten hr zerks a grease job everyday and the fifty hr ones every other day when the machines warm but my question is why did deere start with the wood blocks in there first 9500's and 9600's and then go to the aluminum blocks which i believe the book says grease every 200 hrs but as pretty much everyone knows is a everyday deal why would guys go to putting in the old wooden blocks in again especially with the walker problems they caused in my opinion?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Our 9510 gets a daily shot of grease will i'm fueling it up and checking fluid levels. The chains also are oiled every couple days.
Alex

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i just follow the book and love the fact you can get in a jd (cts11) after one or two grease nipples and start work, beats the 2166 we had which took half an hour, then when the moisture is up one morning i will do a weekly or even annual service depending on how much time i have up my sleave. but there is nothing more sure than the statement lubed for life, and when you are standing working over a stuffed bearing you can say they were right i geuss its life just ended.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You can over lube some of the bearings, greasable sealed bearings only need a pump or two at the interval suggested. If more grease is used you can open up the seal and let dirt in and the bearing will go out sooner. I was a parts man years ago, we had some guys replacing rake bar bearings alomost every season and some almost never replaced them. I asked each how they lubed, the guys that replaced bearings greased every day until grease squirted out and they ones that didn't only greased between hay cuttings(about three or four times a year). I know combines are different but the reccommended intervals are for a reason.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree with Harsh if the book says 50hrs then 50 it is, besides who wants to do that job more than you have to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts