The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a major OH on my 5xxR and it is getting a lot of new bearings. Some of the bearing are pretty good size and some maybe haven't been receiving enough greasing.

Do I risk damaging any of the rotational bearing? I know that some of the variable drives can get to much and get grease onto the belts. What about shaft bearings.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I am not sure. I do know that before I bought a "lock n lube" grease coupler, I greased the machine often. Many times on the grease banks, I knew I was loosing grease, but thought most of it was going to the bearing...I think I was wrong, as one rotor bearing was bad at 600 hours and the other almost. I also had a right primary shaft bearing go out this year...fed from a grease bank. I blame it on metric grease fittings, small lines going to the bearings, and thick amsoil grease. I will go to use nlgi #1 this year, and the lock-n-lube will also greatly help.

The bearings you have removed...did they look greasy or dry on the outside of the seals.

I know when I put new rotor bearings in, it took A LOT of grease to purge it. I also know it took a lot of grease for the new primary shaft bearing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My chopper bearings are sealed without a grease zerk. Seedcleaner, I am using the metric grease coupler (or at least the Claas that I bought at Ziegler) for my grease gun and I now have zero problems with leaking grease at the connection point.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I bought a coupler at the cat store that had an adjustable jaw via a threaded end. It was ok but the lock n lube is superior in nearly every way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No auto lube systems? Or do you have autolube and just greasing fittings that don't have lines running to them?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the lube system, should I? Have you ever installed one? I heard the Lincoln system was causing some trouble and they have switched to a different brand. Have you heard of this?

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I talked to the Claas service rep at the crop production show. The bearing he said he would not over grease is the variable speed drive pulley with 6 fittings. If you over grease this one the grease will get on the belt. My impeller bearing on the right or non drive side has a rubber seal and it would be the one I would not over grease because of the seal. Most of the bigger bearings have felt seals that can be greased more than the recommendation. I was thinking before harvest it would be a good idea to take off all the grease tubes at the bearing and check to make sure grease it actually going through them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We were told the same thing about the variable speed pulleys last year. They all went out this year. We now grease the **** out of them and ordered our next combine without variable speed feeder house and rotors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
had one of those variable speed pulleys actually tear the side out on our old 460r. mechanic told us it was from not greasing them enough now on our 740r we grease them alot it has a 100 hour sticker there we grease em every other day or 30 hrs its messy but after three seasons the play still feels the same as in over greasing we got the auto lube and we run a manual cycle once a day reason for that is if you plug or shut the engine off for any reason it will trip the cycle and empty that grease canister pretty fast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts