The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever grown oats or triticale and in the fall when there getting ready to bale,spray them with round up and left them to dry standing?Would you loose any nutrients in the plant after it's been sprayed.I got roughly 1000 bales to make but the crop is so tall it's going to take forever to dry if i cut them,but if the roundup effects the quality of the plant i would cut them.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What you are talking about is yellow feed. The stuff is just as nutritious as green feed if sprayed at the right time. You must remember that it will take 2 to 3 weeks after dedicating before it's dried down, and in that time the crop will grow some and the grain will mature as well. Therefore if you want oats with some grain but still have reasonable palatability you should probably spray when they are in the full milk. Oats is tricky to judge do you want palatable and low energy or grain and coarse straw. There is some research done by the u of s years back with regards to palatability changes with yellowfeed. I think they concluded palatability increased some with desicating. As well nutrient profile didn't change between the two methods. We have done it some but haven't had a need to do it lately. However a big rank crop in a wet merky fall I think it's a good way to manage the conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.