The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 70 series combine that is Green Star ready. It came with a Star Fire itc receiver (I believe its an itc) and a 2600 monitor. The 2600 monitor did not come with a data card. This is my first John Deere and I have no idea how Greenstar works or what all I need to make it work. I'm not terribly interested in mapping my fields but I sure would enjoy Autotrac. Will autotrac work without the data card? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
No, you will need a data card and the activation on the monitor. Your monitor might have the autotrac activation already. If you have the necessary software on your computer you can easily install the software onto a generic data card. But since you have stated your new to greenstar I would recommend you go to your dealer. They will sell you a 512mb or 256mb data card for around $50 and ask them to install software for a 2600 on it. My dealer would install the software for free. The data card is severely overpriced and you can go down the Future shop & buy a larger 4gb one for $12, however the smaller cards work better with the monitor I would highly recommend you buy the over priced 256mb one. You should be able to get running without spending much money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I was hoping to hear that I could get up and running without spending much more money. I guess I will call the dealer and get me a card.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No, you will need a data card and the activation on the monitor. Your monitor might have the autotrac activation already. If you have the necessary software on your computer you can easily install the software onto a generic data card. But since you have stated your new to greenstar I would recommend you go to your dealer. They will sell you a 512mb or 256mb data card for around $50 and ask them to install software for a 2600 on it. My dealer would install the software for free. The data card is severely overpriced and you can go down the Future shop & buy a larger 4gb one for $12, however the smaller cards work better with the monitor I would highly recommend you buy the over priced 256mb one. You should be able to get running without spending much money.
The big cards do not play nice with the 2600 at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is there any way I can check to see if the monitor has the autotrac activation?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hit menu button in bottom right corner the hit GS2 button then hit activation tab at the top and scroll through the list of activations

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just picked up a 70 series combine that is Green Star ready. It came with a Star Fire itc receiver (I believe its an itc) and a 2600 monitor. The 2600 monitor did not come with a data card. This is my first John Deere and I have no idea how Greenstar works or what all I need to make it work. I'm not terribly interested in mapping my fields but I sure would enjoy Autotrac. Will autotrac work without the data card? Thanks in advance.
You will need a blank data card for the GS2 2600 to function and you will need a SF1 Auto Trac activation Code for about $4000 for the GS2 2600. Unless the previous owner left his Auto Trac activation on the 2600, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
56 Posts

What are the issues with larger memory capacities cards. I bought some cards from London Drugs a couple years ago with what I thought was larger memory and didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the largest card Deere recommends is 512mb you can use a bigger card but if you store too much data on the card it will start to slow the display down and start causing freezing and other issues. If you don't use documentation this in not an issue but if you are documenting your operations then it does not take long to fill up a 512 card we generally have to clean cards several times per year expecially in sprayers to keep things running smoothly. Idealy you should have a spare card in the machine with all your setup data (fields, boundrys, crops, chemicals, machines) preloaded so when you fill your card up you can just switch and keep going

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

What are the issues with larger memory capacities cards. I bought some cards from London Drugs a couple years ago with what I thought was larger memory and didn't notice any difference.
When you start the machine up it has to load all the data on the card so if its going through 4gb of data instead of 256mb it really lags the system. Thats just one example, I tried the larger cards nothing but trouble. A 2630 display is a nice way to solve the card problems ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I finally got time to get on the combine and check the activations tab. I have no idea what I'm looking at, so I snapped a pic for the professionals. Hope this picture works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
It looks like your Starfire receiver(yellow dome on the roof) has a SF1 activation which is more than capable for harvest. You will have to go to the greenstar menu & look for the activations tab, that will tell you if the screen has the proper activation. (or post of picture of that screen as well)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes you will need the card to go into the Greenstar Menu.
The largest card you would want to run is a 1 GB card. a 256mb is small because the current update takes around 180mb which would already have the card over half full.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah it looks like I fell ass backwards into pretty neat gadgets. I guess the only thing to do now is hit up youtube and learn how to use it all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts