The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me start by saying I have been a loyal Deere guy since I was 13 years old my dad has been green before that. we have had a good dealer about 15 miles from the shop but recently they sold the store and moved to a bigger city about 40 miles north, and are only selling lawn care and 4 wheelers. in the mean time they have several other locations all about 45 to 60 miles away from us. so I find out they are closing the next closest to us store and building a new state of the art super store that is 70 miles away. So they leave me no choice I am going RED we have a red dealer about 15 miles away my problem is I know nothing about red tractors so someone tell me that I will be happy with the trade,comfort,parts,power,fuel economy,reliability. I guess what I am saying is all you red people tell me why you are red.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Can't say I'm a die hard red guy, more multi-colored. Never could get into a JD tractor always wanted $10-15k more than CIH to trade. New Magnums are roomy, quiet, user friendly, real nice cabs. Do prefer CIH controls over JD, but that is what I have become used to. It boils down to the color doesn't mean much, you just need a good dealer. Yes you will be happy with the machine, any machine, if you have good dealer support... How is your CIH dealer?

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have gone to red because of better dealer service. We run puma row crop tractors and they seem reliable. They seem to have less electrical issues than some of the deeres. Our 4wd Steiger is top notch good on fuel and bullet proof...our. Flagship combine is reliable easy to set and has really clean sample...can out preform the sts in really small seeds with less loss..however the sts combine handle tough condition better in wheat and have a better straw chopper. Case combines are hard on fuel. Our patriot sprayer is really wellbalanced and is good for putting horsepower to the ground. The 120 ft booms stay still even on rough ground and is a Cadillac to operate. We run pro 700 monitors and I'm not overly impressed by them... It can be tough to navigate around the screen and they have had some software glitches. Many pros and cons to each brand both pretty good. Can't say much good about our local Deere dealer but some farmers have different expierence.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In my opinion, they all have good and bad points, we run green because we have an excellent local dealer, local being 45 miles away, who has a good supply of parts on hand. Quite often we do not have to wait for parts. But we do run other colors and have a great red loader tractor with 9000 hours on it. But we get it serviced at the blue dealer because the Case parts and service sucks, so bad to the point that they even have to order oil filters. When you live 45 mins from the dealer, you don't want to make a return trip to pick up your filter the next day.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I hate the pro 600/700 monitors, shouldn't have to hunt around for things you want. Don't care for the Deere displays either. Prefer the aftermarkets over any of the oem's.

Dirtfarmer, sounds like your CIH dealer just as well close the doors if they can't even have basic filters on hand. I realize they can't stock every part, but common stuff like filters, come on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's kinda like challenger lexion around here, It could be the absolute best thing in the world but with lack of dealer support it is immediately dropped to the bottom of the pile. Now a days any color will grow a crop, having a dealer you can trust and is close would easily be worth the switch in my mind.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
My dad was all green and about twenty years ago I started adding red to the line, and like you say service was as good if not better with red and slowly changed entire line to red, I think Deere has relied to much on their reputation rather than pushing to be the best... Up here red tractors out run green by 10 to one and every year there is more added

Colony was green, but just heard after their red quad demo this spring they'd re pricing out red... What the **** was Deere thinking with their track tractors, somewhat a joke at the coffee shop

·
Registered
514 Posts
My dad was all green and about twenty years ago I started adding red to the line, and like you say service was as good if not better with red and slowly changed entire line to red, I think Deere has relied to much on their reputation rather than pushing to be the best... Up here red tractors out run green by 10 to one and every year there is more added

Colony was green, but just heard after their red quad demo this spring they'd re pricing out red... What the **** was Deere thinking with their track tractors, somewhat a joke at the coffee shop
Is kinda funny around here Its kinda the other way around. probably 45% green 30% red and 25% everything else(tractors,combine/sprayer wise). Some guys have all green and a red quad. Neighbors have mostly all red with a green compact utility. really depends on conditions and dealer service. We also have two competing Deere dealers so that tends to keep them a smidge more honest

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dealer service is key to any modern piece of farm equipment. I have run red for years and still have and use early 90's model tractors they are very reliable and easy to work on (the old ones). From time to time I rent a newer machine to do some heavy work (deep tillage) and like the way the Case IH console is setup better than the Deere console, mostly because the gear shift switch and throttle are the same lever (throttle is the lever and gear shift is a switch on the throttle) and they have a shuttle lever on the steering collum for forward, reverse, and park.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments we have a red combine and the dealer is for the most part easy to work with And only about 15 minutes away, I am thinking of leasing a red tractor for a while to see if they want me as a customer because I think that is what Deere did to me they just don't seem to care.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I would follow up with the story. I bought a 2005 Case IH MXM 175 with 3000 hrs, I have put about 50 hrs on it getting soybeans finished up and I am pleasantly surprised, I even tried to not like it at first. But it is a very nice tractor the ride is good with the suspended cab and it shifts very smooth, over all I am glad I did it.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
What the **** was Deere thinking with their track tractors
Roughly 15/20 years ago, shortly after Deere introduced a track tractor I was chatting with the territory rep for our area.
Tracks were an extremely thin slice of the market at the time having made up only 6% of the market the year before.
I asked him why, with such thin numbers, Deere would enter the market.

"Because, even though it's a small market if a guy wants a track tractor it may as well say Deere on it."

Class of marketing 101 now dismissed!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.