The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I sprayed a group one chemical for wild oats on barley, I was extremely upset since I don't feel it did it's job. This year my crop inputs gentleman gave me a group one chemical for grassy weeds on my wheat, on the same field. Is the chemical weaker for the barley compared to the wheat chemical? I didn't want to second guess his decision so I just sprayed it anyways. The chemical I sprayed on this field was bengel 120c I think.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Switch out of group 1. You've got resistance and looking for a massive headache if you go with a group 1 again. Learned my lesson once with group 2 resistant cleavers and still fighting the mess 10 years later.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It definitely sounds like Group 1 resistance. Switch out of Group 1's and send away seeds for a test ASAP. It is possible that if you have a resistance to one segment of group 1's the other ones may still work as well. There may be a resistance to fop's, but dens and dim's may still work, and vice versa. Best thing you can do is switch out of Group 1's for good though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for confirming my fears! Haha. We will hope the wild oats haven't become resistant, other than last year can't remember the last time I used a group one on the field. Next year canola is def in the rotation. Is group one weaker chemical? And to think I even had the guy feeling of taking the chemical back I exchange for better stuff.

Unfortunately too late to re spray, wheats getting into 4-5 leaf stage now and won't quit raining. Only have 40 acres left.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What are some group 2 for wheat?

I don't think I have a resistance problem yet, but trying to plan ahead. Most of what I grow relies on group 1 pretty heavily, unfortunately D:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You could apply simplicity to flag leaf, 4/5 leaf is still small yet.

Simplicity, Everest, varro, assert or adrenaline/altitude in Clearfield wheat.

Clodinafop and fenoaxprop are probably the weakest these days.

I would honestly plan a treatment of avadex or fortress this fall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And to add to that it seemed somewhat patchy, but could've been a second flush. It def stunted the wild oats if not killed them last year and the barley bushel around 130/acre last year. So not sure if the wild oats really affected it that much. Just a little Leary this year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Group 2's

Everest or Sierra is really good on wild oats and green foxtail, but doesn't get barnyard grass.

Simplicity good on wild oats a little weaker on foxtail but gets the barnyard
Varro (grass killer in velocity) haven't used it much cause we had a wild oat wreck with it

This year the foxtail and barnyard has been flushing thicker than ever, and I am seeing barnyard everywhere on all farms I scout for. Which I think is coming from everyone relying on Everest for so many years. So alot of our acres have been getting simplicity and some axial.
The group 2's are generally harder on the crop and will make the wheat yellow up a bit. Axial is usually the safest on the crop however in the last two cool wet springs it will leave a yellow stripe across the leaf that was growing when sprayed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.