The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do this?

From what I understand a light seeding of canola is planted along with the peas to hold the peas up.

Do you still swath them or direct cut?

In ontario where I am very few people grow straight peas, most of us who do swath and then combine, direct cut if we are lucky.

Just wondering how much canola you are actually planting, do you let the canola fully mature? Assuming you would be swathing at that point?

Here peas would be ripe much sooner than canola.

Thanks for any help, would really like to make harvesting peas a little easier!

P.S. we've never grown canola, but we do have wild mustard around here which is a weed as far as we are concerned, does canola volunteer itself readily if the seed makes it to the ground?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have seen it done with Polish canola varieties with peas. Polish varieties mature earlier than Argentine varieties of canola. The combine can be set to thrash both peas and canola, and do a pretty good job of both. All that is needed is a screening system to separate the canola from the peas either before binning or when unloading the bin. If you are going to put the peas in the bin tough and use air to dry, you will want to screen the canola out before you bin the peas.

Peas are seeded at regular rate and canola seeded at 2 to 3 lbs per acre. Volunteer canola is a weed but can be sprayed out pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The other option is to grow a mustard. It is shorter season than canola and yellow mustard is more shatter tolerant. There are no clearfield varieties (Unless you count XCEED from CPS/Glencore) but there are still some options for weed control available.

It would be about the same as a Polish canola for maturity/cost.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I have experimented with both peas & canola (peaola by hail insurance designation or canopea by my kids designation) and lentils and canola (for now we are calling it lentola).

In both cases I used a Brassica juncea (Xceed) - smart canola quality mustard.

Screening out the small seeds from the big were no problem in either case with a rotary screener. Maturity was matched very well in the lentola and the shatter resistance of the Xceed meant swathing ripe canola was not an issue.

I have lots of ideas and took a reasonable amount of pictures and videos.

main points of what I learned:
-non legume crop MUST have some N in order to be somewhat competitive (peas outcompeted canola totally unless there was some N for canola)
-excessive N with legume still does not suppress nodulation (healthy pink nodules in lentils with 100+ actual N applied to mix)
-best strategy is to treat legume as main crop and the canola as a volunteer
-Xceed canola can germinate and emerge from same seeding depth as lentils
-using smart varieties is a low risk way to get good weed control in both crops

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
I had a neighbor do similar with peas and mustard on accident last year, volunteer mustard. It worked so good he tried to replicate it. Spread 100lbs urea with 5lbs mustard then seeded the peas. Last heard it was a good stand. Never heard how it turned out. I did find a study done on it in Australia. Looked interesting enough that I may have to give it a try next spring.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is done a bit in Australia, but I have not done it myself.

I have heard that they use the full seeding rate for both seeds, or you reduce the canola rate so it holds the peas up but does not compete as much.

We dont have the harvest problems of Canada as we havest at the beginning of summer.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Grew mustard and chickpeas, not by doing it on purpose, but from a bad miffed season hailstorm... Ended up cleaning out mustard and got a full supper b in a quater...

Would not think it would work great if I actually tried it thou

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The UK boys do this quite a bit, from memory they get around 20% canola to the peas, it's all done to aid harvesting and keeping peas of the ground in wet weather...

If it keeps weeds to the point of not having to spray and finishing moisture is not an issue it would fit, something I should look at down the track,

Ant...

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
The UK boys do this quite a bit, from memory they get around 20% canola to the peas, it's all done to aid harvesting and keeping peas of the ground in wet weather...

If it keeps weeds to the point of not having to spray and finishing moisture is not an issue it would fit, something I should look at down the track,

Ant...
There is some nice group c chemistry out that may work well for peaola.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I like the chemical the stays on the shelf, I like to look at it when I going past it at murray goulburn store when I'm picking up cheap milk...I like to look at all the farm supplies hehe...

I am seriously, seriously considering doing faba beans with barley next year..50 kg/ha..

Ant..

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I like the chemical the stays on the shelf, I like to look at it when I going past it at murray goulburn store when I'm picking up cheap milk...I like to look at all the farm supplies hehe...

I am seriously, seriously considering doing faba beans with barley next year..50 kg/ha..

Ant..
If that's the case get organic certification and market direct to the consumer. CASH IN.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.