The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the torrential rains there will be alot of washouts and gulleys and I fear cracking out the outside dual wheels. Has anyone welded on gussets on the outside dual so as to reduce the incidence of duals breaking? I was thinking of placing 5 gussets around the bolt pattern and using 3/8 plate from the dual plate and going out onto the dual wheel. Anyone had any experience or knowledge with that idea? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
On a 2388 thats the fastest way to break them is to add gussets. On OEM duals they were designed with a certain amount of flex, if you take the flex out with gussets it puts all the pressure on the bolt pattern. I've been there done that with our Hillco 2388 combine. What we did is purchase underverth rims, not a cheap option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wamag is right, the things that you can do are firstly ensure that you have a spacer (single or multiple holed) under your wheel studs to spread the load away from the stud hole itself , the longer studs also give a better tensile load , make sure you have it torqued right. Secondly run less air in your out wheels make them absorb the sharp edges of you washouts and lastly pay attention and back it of when needed. If they are only 3/8" plate they won't take to much ruff treatment though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts