The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing about the July hail, at least they are usually fairly narrow streaks. A couple through this area now. Every time it gets a measurable rain in July you can expect some hail from it around here. I keep thinking that over all the moisture is doing all as much good as the hail does damage.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That top picture had just over 2" moisture measured in that yard in the background. Drifts of hail the next day.
1/2" to 0.1" from what I heard and seen in the second 2 pictures. These pictures are the worst of these 2 storms. Doesn't get much worse damage than that first 1. That crop was looking pretty good.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don, how are crops in the Trochu/Three Hills area? I haven’t been that way in a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
4,263 Posts
I would say with the forecast in the upcoming week production will be lucky to be 1/2 of the recent lofty yields the kids have been getting.
And that only if the week after provides relief.
They have been blessed of late. Until now.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would say with the forecast in the upcoming week production will be lucky to be 1/2 of the recent lofty yields the kids have been getting.
The last 10 years, more or less, we have had good July moisture. The younger farmers think this is the norm. No till has been a huge help with a few days of drought. Most of the Canola around here will be a very poor crop, the cereals are a few days away from the same.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hail insurance is an option. It can pay fairly well if you roll the dice even on a bad year. I didn't buy any. We do rarely get hail. Neighbor got that got the brunt of it. Also got hit fairly hard last year. Hope he bought hail insurance. I believe he did last year. I figure my crop insurance is there to keep me farming as intended. Hail insurance is like going to Vegas for me. Some guys, they better not go with out it. They usually have the best potential for the best crops and the best potential for losing the crops from hail. That is when yield averages don't always end up making enough coverage for insurance. So the hail insurance has to pick up the slack the hail created. Farming can be such a game of strategy.

One year I had a field that got missed for crop insurance coverage. Stupid mistake by me. I figured I better put something on it. Only time I have gotten hail insurance. It was the only field that got hail that year. 70% damage a few days from harvest. Still did almost 30bu/acre. I think I still got a bunch of those kinked over heads they had to count as loss. :) I think I bought a lottery ticket after that. I didn't win twice.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think the cereals will be okay, half the height they normally are. The canola will definitely be lower yield than normal, after this next week. What that yield will look like, I don’t know but it’s flowering and there’s no rain in sight. I just don’t like it when the ground is this dry and the risk of fire is so high.

It’s a dry year for sure, and like Lanwickum said, we haven’t had any dry years for quite a while. I just feel blessed to have something to combine, feel bad for those who don’t. I know if our area is dry, it’s really dry everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a bit more driving around today and hearing how far this storm went. It certainly did much more damage than it did help. This was a bad one. Likely the most acres destroyed I have ever seen from a hail storm.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Too bad that we couldn't trade. In Southern Alberta I am really hoping that I get hailed out.

i

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have rain rain rain in Germany...
Partly even get high water and floods :(

Just got another 20l /m2 within 30mins this morning.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We are 60miles nw of saskatoon, and there is no hiding what crops look like in this area.....good heavy dirt is frying equal to lighter land. In fact in some circumstances the clay top hills are worse....I'm thinking its baked so bad that plants are stunted from growing. We have had about 2.3" at my yard, but 1.8" on other land around us....a little to the south had a bit better crops as they received a extra rain, but now that even means SFA....they are burning as bad or worse. The area is pretty big, and pastures are absolutely destroyed, livestock numbers will drop no matter what happens now. Hard to watch!!!

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grizzer, that hurts a bit to hear. When the livestock numbers drop, that is a sign of harder times for the whole community and areas around it. I was told of guy north west of me near the border. 100% hail damage. More than one report that he had excellent crops. 70 plus bushel winter wheat. Had a guy tell me yesterday he was offered $200/ton to hay it. That opened my eyes, wide. I hope that rumor is not all true.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
We are 60miles nw of saskatoon, and there is no hiding what crops look like in this area.....good heavy dirt is frying equal to lighter land. In fact in some circumstances the clay top hills are worse....I'm thinking its baked so bad that plants are stunted from growing. We have had about 2.3" at my yard, but 1.8" on other land around us....a little to the south had a bit better crops as they received a extra rain, but now that even means SFA....they are burning as bad or worse. The area is pretty big, and pastures are absolutely destroyed, livestock numbers will drop no matter what happens now. Hard to watch!!!
**** that’s good area. My fishing group used to head to Tolbin that way. Hit Saskatoon get lost then figure out we need to head North then off we go.
Always enjoyed the crops on the way up. Always called it gods country. Sadly not this year:cry:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Pretty dry on the escarpment in Manitoba as well. Some good crops west of us and some decent looking areas of the Red River Valley, but the crop development is as patchy as the rains have been. We picked up 4/10's last night which will help, but that's almost all the rain we've had this month. With temps in the high 20's and 30's , it''s been brutal. Talked to a buddy that runs a grain elevator, and he's spending his days talking to farmers trying to find ways out of their delivery contracts.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Pretty dry on the escarpment in Manitoba as well. Some good crops west of us and some decent looking areas of the Red River Valley, but the crop development is as patchy as the rains have been. We picked up 4/10's last night which will help, but that's almost all the rain we've had this month. With temps in the high 20's and 30's , it''s been brutal. Talked to a buddy that runs a grain elevator, and he's spending his days talking to farmers trying to find ways out of their delivery contracts.
My brother is a grain buyer. Only way you get out of them is buy outs. Looking around 5k per load of durum.
There talking 12-15 per bu for Durum and 25-30 for Canola. Heard that from two diff buyers.

Reactions: whtbaron

·
Registered
97 Posts
My brother is a grain buyer. Only way you get out of them is buy outs. Looking around 5k per load of durum.
There talking 12-15 per bu for Durum and 25-30 for Canola. Heard that from two diff buyers.
So in a buy out situation you pay a fee or penalty on top of the spot price? You heard $25-30/bu and new crop is $20-21.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
So in a buy out situation you pay a fee or penalty on top of the spot price? You heard $25-30/bu and new crop is $20-21.
I’m not sure how it works and I don’t want to find out. I’m guessing you have to pay the diff. The one other grain buyer told me today if you have them and can’t fill it better act sooner then later before price increases

1 - 20 of 33 Posts