Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crop got pulverized June 24th, hail adjusters may not come for a while. Could leave check strips for adjusters, spray it out and re seed to Oats or Barley. Or do u just leave it? Or do u just seed into it with disc drill with oats and cut for silage. Any past experiences would be helpful.We usually can go frost free until Mid October.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Live in Southern Alberta ,usually are hail comes second week of July , so we normally do nothing. I am new to irrigation and now that we have water available I thought reseeding might be a better option. Poll with options would be good. I have already plunked the cash down, 160 lbs of N, in crop herbicide( traxos 2).Have feedlots close by so have outfits looking for feed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had durum hailed out on July 10th last year. I sprayed it out. June 25 will make a crop. There was lots cut and baled with the head at soft dough in early sept. My uncle had hail June 25 before. Got paid 100% on hail insurance and got an a average crop out of it to boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have been hailed several times in early july when wheat is just at heading time ,in a wet year if crop stays wet and dosent dry out it came back and produced an avg crop ,with you having irrigation would think you could make a fairly good crop yet with the help of available water ,lots of different options on what to spray on it to possibly help it out ,,,

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ok , EXTREMELY hard to comment with out pictures of crop, Every farmer has a different view on what bad is. I was a hail adjuster for MB crop insurance when I came out of University to augment some extra cash flow on the farm. They tend to train there adjusters to defer damage. Also vegetative damage is not consider yield damage unless its broken below the cutting line. Personally I don't agree with crop insurance guidelines on damage but had to follow them. I did get some push back from my claim advisor when I sided with the farmer.
So years latter into my farming career I had Hail damage at the beginning of july and the hail shredded the flag leaf but the adjuster said 0 damage. I was in disbelief and upset and knew the crop was doomed. My oat crop that year averaged 135 and the hail damaged quarter went 90 so without doubt vegetative damage to the flag leaf causes yield loss. I wrote a letter to Manitoba crop insurance to reconsider revaluate vegetative damage. When you get your durum adjusted I would advise not to defer and push hard on crop loss especially on irrigation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your comments, not sure how to load pictures but the crop looks like u set your lawn mower on its lowest adjustment

·
Registered
544 Posts
Durum crop will regrow quicker than newly planted seeds as it already has a root system and the ability to regrow from the ground. But it still might be later maturing than reseeded barley. Also if not all the plants are at the same stage, then you could have issues in the fall with different maturities. A very even hail storm might be the best.

Lots of defoliation work has been done and losses measured. It takes a lot of vegetative loss to get major yield loss. You might be surprised to find out the hail payment is not as large as you would like and the crop insurance wont cover you for reseeding as it is too late. As mentioned above, defering the hail claim might be a good option, but if you don't have a non hailed check strip it will be hard to prove or measure the real hail damage.

If you do keep the existing crop and it has some green leaf left, get out soon and apply fungicide. Keeping those existing leaves clean will help a lot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Never saw peas like that but the wheat will regrow. That being said get the field adjusted and grill the adjuster on defoliation and get them to write up a claim and only defer if you can prove they are wrong. If your unsatisfied with the crop you could spray it out in august and seed winter wheat or fall rye. Often private hail adjuster will wait to the province crop adjusters do there claim and than copy there work. That is pretty lame.!

·
Registered
736 Posts
After seeing the pictures would reinforce my vote of doing nothing - your crop will just be later. Usually in places where there irrigation the risk of early frost not nearly the consideration that it would be in our neighborhood. Think if you could get adjuster out sooner you likely may do better, but they usually not friendly on early hail. I have both private and public coverage as think you have a better chance of fairer adjustment. Would be great if you kept us posted how this turns out for you - I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will let u know how I make out, I have insurance with our provincial insurance as well as Ag Direct, Ag Direct guy told me on the phone that the most they would do is 50% on the Peas since they were not flowering yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts