The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking I would like to experiment with gps a little. I don't have much money right now to buy a light bar or something nice. I was thinking if I had a hand held gps that I could get row lengths with to use with our new grain cart that has a scale system. I could do several spot yield checks while harvesting corn. Am I just wasting my time and money? Does anyone have any experience with something like that? I was hoping to spend less than 2 or 3 hundred, looks like thats what a basic hand held is going for. Is there something for my 1688 out there that is cheaper than $2000 that I don't know about?
My dealer said that Case IH's (the 250 model I think)basic light bar is $1400, but the antenna is junk so right away spend $400 on the better antenna. Or I SHOULD buy the 500 model so it is upgradeable if I change my mind someday for $3000. Thanks for any input or comments.

·
Registered
129 Posts
arcticcatfarmer,

It's a way to get your fingers wet, without spending too much money. If you just want to calculate row length to get an idea of yields they are quite accurate. I own a Garmin Vista. I think around $300. I actually use it to get exact measurements of odd shaped or new fields before buying product. Very handy to have the acre calculator on it. Just setup, drive perimeter, and check acres.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did this with our old 1660. I would record the longitude and latitude and length of a strip of the field, Then by weighing the load and some simple math you could make a poor mans yield monitor. With several of these data strips I made a crude yield chart of the field. I could then go back on a tractor and find those strips later.

I do not think a light bar is any good in a combine unless you also have auto steer and even then it is not good in corn unless you have planted super accurate also.

When we got the 2388 with a real yield monitor I justed loved it.
I get real time yield and moisture information. I couldn't believe how much the yield dropped even a good distance from a tree. This got me motivated to get out the chain saw real fast.

I would get the cheap portable gps for fun and who knows if you get lost in the corn it would be a real help.

Longer term I would save up and buy a newer combine with a real yield monitor in it. You will love the new style cab and the great power of a 2388.

You can use the data from the yield monitor with your old handheld gps to find the low yield spots in the field while driving in the pickup truck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your input is just what I was looking for, thank you. I never heard of gps having an acre feature. That would be great. I've looked at Garmin's site and they have an online store. They don't say anything about doing acre calculation, so I will call them tomorrow. They were experiencing unusually high call volumes today and had a 30 minute wait. LOL.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Chances are customer support doesn't no about the acre calculation feature, but if you need help finding it if you get one just email me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts