The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What issues do hard hose traveling boom irrigators have .Do they blow over in strong winds when not in use. They are efficient for water usage and electricity just like centre pivots .I am in Australia and my irrigation country is on winding alluvial river flats and usually use gun type hard hose to irrigate just considering the boom .We usually irrigate lucerne (alfalfa) for hay or forage crops for sheep or cattle .

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've had a bit of experience with both, and the boom wins hands down. We swapped the gun for a boom with the same undercarriage so I always thought they were the same (undercarriage). We got the shits with the gun in the wind shooting 200mtrs in one direction and negative 20 in the other. The boom was far better for consistent coverage.
PS: don't mind ur username, where you at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One sales rep told me a boom would blow over within a few years when not in use due to the lighter weight .It would then cost a bomb in repairs, .He reckons the gun is a better bet.
The rep trying to sell the boom suggested i could reduce electric hp motor for pump by 50% due running boom at much lower pressure and increase water availability by 40% .What brand of boom were you happy with ?
Based in Central Western New South Wales

1 - 4 of 4 Posts