The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Harvard Uni has bought some properties where I live. Multi million dollars ones at that. Now they are spending ridiculous amounts of money renovating and developing what is already functional and working. Iam talking about big big dollars here. I can't see where they are going to get the returns from growing wheat and cotton. Given we have a bit of a problem getting water out of the river from our governmental tree hugger dept, and costly bore water can only do so much, makes me wonder if they are doing their homework properly. It doesn't seem like it.

Does Harvard have farming interests in the US? If so, are they farming for profit and putting money back into local communities or just developing and then selling for much more than purchase price.

The company I work for is looking at new gear for some of their farming work here but iam abit concerned as to how long they will be around. As other contractors well know, a change of farm ownership doesn't always mean you still have a job to go to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those sort of operations end up with unchecked nepotism. Makes life hard for agricultural contractors. Operators with the inside knowledge get the work. Good earner if your related to the right person.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Did you see the newspaper article on that!
"HARVARD OVERSPENT IN BUTTCRACKVILLE"

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
So Harvard Uni has bought some properties where I live. Multi million dollars ones at that. Now they are spending ridiculous amounts of money renovating and developing what is already functional and working. Iam talking about big big dollars here. I can't see where they are going to get the returns from growing wheat and cotton. Given we have a bit of a problem getting water out of the river from the tree hugger dept, and costly bore water can only do so much, makes me wonder if they are doing their homework properly. It doesn't seem like it.

Does Harvard have farming interests in the US? If so, are they farming for profit and putting money back into local communities or just developing and then selling for much more than purchase price.

The company I work for is looking at new gear for some of their farming work here but iam abit concerned as to how long they will be around. As other contractors well know, a change of farm ownership doesn't always mean you still have a job to go to.
I know nothing about Harvards assets, but my WAG is research work will never "appear" profitable. One new development from research work can return an astronomical amount of money to the institution.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess with around 30 billion dollars in their endowment fund, what they are spending here is loose change. Would still like to know if they have AG interests in the US or Canada.

Just to clarify, Buttville is in the northern Riverina, North West of Griffith.;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will have to look into that. Perhaps they have a raging gay scene. Not sure if I would be able to find a felching partner there though. Maybe one of those smartly dressed Harvard types would be willing.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Will have to look into that. Perhaps they have a raging gay scene. Not sure if I would be able to find a felching partner there though. Maybe one of those smartly dressed Harvard types would be willing.
Curiosity got the better of me, so yes, I googled "Felching".
Now I wish I hadn`t!...Retch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts