The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one out there use harvest smart on the combines, i personaly had a problem with it in that every time there was a can issue the combine stopped moving, but maybe that is all sorted now. Interested to hear from other users. Does it realy improve capacity.

·
Registered
88 Posts
it should be working fairly good.
play a bit with the numbers so that the combine
does not stop every time there is a bit more wet straw
What are the setting on yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.......my first post here so I hope its ok to add it onto this posting.
I have a T560i with autotrack and harvest smart. The autotrack is brilliant and I wouldn't be without it now. However I am struggling to get the best out of harvest smart. Some days it works great and other days it is hopeless. I find that I have to set the losses acceptable 2 numbers lower so that it runs to my level. I have to set the response to 100 and even then I don't think it reacts quick enough. I have to set the maximum speed just slightly higher than the average forward speed or it will race away to fast. Do I also have to set the drum pressure even though I am in smart mode rather than capacity mode. Any input much appreciated...............

·
Registered
894 Posts
Isn't setting your losses lower defeating the purpose of using havest smart?

If I recall, harvest smart controls the forward travel speed of the combine in order to optimize its overall throughput performance. I could see how this might get a little annoying with grain loss being a major factor in controlling the system if running to minimum grain loss specs (e.g. < .5 or 1%). If I could not make it run productively at those levels, then that might defeat the purpose of purchasing the system (because you are going to run on acres per hour at your own pace vs. by grain loss with harvest smart).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply but I perhaps should have explained my settings a bit better. The reason I set the loss monitor 2 numbers lower for smart mode is because I tended to set the loss monitor up so that as soon as a bar appeared in the centre area of the display, that was the point where I needed to slow down, whereas the harvest smart takes the unacceptable losses to be when the whole of the centre area is filled with bars. That is purely a personal preference on my part. When the harvest smart was working well I found it to be very good. However I do feel that I am missing something in the setup that is hindering it. Actually I am going to a demo on Monday where various JD combines are on display so I am hoping to get some answers from JD about the workings of harvest smart, but I would welcome any users opinions about the system.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do you find that when operating with Harvest Smart that it in runs the combine at slightly lower ground speed, to assure optimization, than if you were running it manually?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Our conditions are quite variable. Rolling ground with low spots that tend to be quite a bit heavier than average. I've used it for two years with limited success. The system is reactive, so when moving from light areas to thick areas it "hits hard", over reacting, then is slow to pick up speed after. On more even fields it performs well, but takes some tinkering.

·
Registered
400 Posts
one thing that i have read and heard about the system is that it will "learn" how to react after some operation. if you keep changing settings constantly, it will have to "re-learn" itself.
i know its' hard to let the thing be when its not acting the way you want it to, but once you get it close, let it go for a little while, like a day and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
The big problem for automatic feed rate control is to inability to "see" the crop coming in before it gets to any gathering device, or a pro-active system. Currently all feed rate controls are passive systems and as such there is NO chance
they will work perfectly in all conditions.
It would be nice but I think it's a ways off.
Harvest Smart has been 90% marketing and 10% function.

Don

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wonder what happened to the "load sensor" in the feeder house? That would help the combine to look ahead a little more.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey all,

This is the only thread I could find that talked about harvest smart, so I figured i would add to it.

How did this system work? did most folks get rid of it, or did it work decent?

The reason a Gleaner guy is asking this question is that we bought some parts at an auction, and got a big control valve assembly in a box labeled "Harvest Smart stuff" and I was wondering if it would be of any use to anybody for a fraction of new cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
The reason a Gleaner guy is asking this question is that we bought some parts at an auction, and got a big control valve assembly in a box labeled "Harvest Smart stuff" and I was wondering if it would be of any use to anybody for a fraction of new cost.
If you give that box away along with 100$'s cash the new owner will only have 100$'s of any value.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,662 Posts
Ha ha, yeh i agree with D.B. i will chip in some money for your local garbage dump fees. Thats the best place for it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, I am sure we can cannibalize it and make use for that magnetic coil.

Total value: at least 5 bucks. :)

So was it a fun idea that never worked in real life, and guys just took it off and disposed of it?

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Interesting look back gmguy!

So was it a fun idea that never worked in real life, and guys just took it off and disposed of it?
Not just a fun idea, a real tool when properly executed.

Interesting reading this almost 7 year old thread, let's review a couple of posts:
The big problem for automatic feed rate control is to inability to "see" the crop coming in before it gets to any gathering device, or a pro-active system. Currently all feed rate controls are passive systems and as such there is NO chance
they will work perfectly in all conditions.
It would be nice but I think it's a ways off.
Harvest Smart has been 90% marketing and 10% function.

Don
Posted September 7th 2008!
To which ralf asked:
I wonder what happened to the "load sensor" in the feeder house? That would help the combine to look ahead a little more.
Answer?
Claas.
In about 2012 Claas introduced Cruise Pilot which in fact incorprorated a feeder house depth sensor.
While not not perfect it is the ONLY auto feed rate system that works properly MOST of the time.
By comparison, ALL other auto feedrate systems to this day are garbage.
You are now are the proud owner of a box of evidence to that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am just more hung up on how it didnt work, and no one got their 6,500 dollar option cost back... It is nice to try something new, but surely this thing failed in testing and was released to the public anyways? (like an early N series Gleaner, a 8010 CIH, or a 50 series Deere I suppose...) :)

Shoot, even if you dont give any money back, a voucher good for a grand in parts at the local dealer would go a long ways to sweeten the sour taste left in the farmer's mouth.

As far as the Claas system, leave it to the Germans to make a failed American idea actually work good, eh Don?

I was wondering, at least on a pickup header, could anything be done with sensors on the windguard? could probably have some feelers over the center belt of a draper header as well. IDK how one could accurately sense crop volume on anything with an auger though.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Curiosity has me on this, never seen such a contraption, would be curious to see what is in that box, might be something usefull in there

My 1480's have a speed control, push the stick as far ahead as it goes and as the engine pulls down the ground speed will be reduced and it will even kill the engine when it plugs :22::22::hits-the-fan:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts