The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what are people able to gdlet out of their 7 8 or 9 series machines in wheat. I am extremely frustrated. we have been running 8010 for a couple of years and we have never been able to get any real capacity out of it. Right now harvesting stettler wheat doing 50 to 60 and only doing about 2.2 to 2.5 mph. thats crazy slow. We have vanes in slow hard thress in front ssmall wire in second then large wire in next two spots. 1050 rotor 850 wind. 0 to 1 concave. I have zeroed and leveled concaves. If I push speed I go from 1 bushels loss to 3 to 4 right quick like. my Los is fine art 70 to 75 percent engine load but above that rotor loss goes up hard. sieves top 12 bottom 4 presieve 1. What the heck. Sorry for typos on phone in combine

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
How are you measuring loss? Seems like the yield monitor only really works at around the speed you calibrated it at.

60 bu crop we can go 3-4 mph with a 30 foot header. Picking up swathes is even faster. Losses don't seem to go up much.

EDIT: vanes in the slow position does take more power.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We are doing heavy straw, 4ft tall goodeve where it it standing - lol, right now, running 60 plus with class 7 gleaners, 35 ft heads at 3.5 to 3.8 mph - if we push to 4 plus we get rotor loss - but that's a lot of material. There is a lot of straw volume this year in certain varieties. Carberry was much shorter and that alone gained us 20% ground speed and bus/hr with same bus/ac let alone easier thrashing. Some varieties are just tough to handle in high volume years. We find goodeve tough to thrash on an average year.
Goodeve about 1000 bus/hr - 900 when tough 1100 when dry
Carberry about 1300 bus/hr
We did get the new class 8 S88 gleaner up to 1550 plus for two hrs straight - thought that was ok - in Carberry.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
We are doing heavy straw, 4ft tall goodeve where it it standing - lol, right now, running 60 plus with class 7 gleaners, 35 ft heads at 3.5 to 3.8 mph - if we push to 4 plus we get rotor loss - but that's a lot of material. There is a lot of straw volume this year in certain varieties. Carberry was much shorter and that alone gained us 20% ground speed and bus/hr with same bus/ac let alone easier thrashing. Some varieties are just tough to handle in high volume years. We find goodeve tough to thrash on an average year.
Goodeve about 1000 bus/hr - 900 when tough 1100 when dry
Carberry about 1300 bus/hr
We did get the new class 8 S88 gleaner up to 1550 plus for two hrs straight - thought that was ok - in Carberry.
It seems the case 9120 s and such around here do 1000 bpa we got a gleaner this year and if the wheat is dry it can touch 900 bph need a 35ft draper to max it out we just got 27ft its an R72 really impressive in wheat

·
Registered
155 Posts
If wheat is standing and running 60 plus can get 4 to 4.5 mile an hour out of 8120 with 40' header. With a cart running can get just over 1000 bushel per hour. Minimal loss. Pre sieve 2nd notch. Wind 810 or even lower till dirty. Bottom sieve 4. Top 12. Rotor 980 to 1050. Concave 2 to 5. Depending on conditions and rotor loss. Small wire first 2. Large slotted rear 2 concave. Running 100% engine load. Losses go up around 110% but still acceptable for amount of time run there. Chopper and everything sound like they like 100% better than 110 too :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
If wheat is standing and running 60 plus can get 4 to 4.5 mile an hour out of 8120 with 40' header. With a cart running can get just over 1000 bushel per hour. Minimal loss. Pre sieve 2nd notch. Wind 810 or even lower till dirty. Bottom sieve 4. Top 12. Rotor 980 to 1050. Concave 2 to 5. Depending on conditions and rotor loss. Small wire first 2. Large slotted rear 2 concave. Running 100% engine load. Losses go up around 110% but still acceptable for amount of time run there. Chopper and everything sound like they like 100% better than 110 too :)
I run like this but with a little more fan usually

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Your settings sound close, I would think your preseive should be closer to three four thou... Preseve is 15 percent if your cleaning...

Also wonder about hard thresh in second, I did the same and went back to small wire,..

I had tightened concaves till they would slightly tick, then ever so lightly back off, also found that rotor speed had to be almost maxed out this year...

Would think in 60 bu wheat you should be in the 4mph range on forty feet

Watch fan speed this year with light test weights

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think you are way too tight on bottom sieve. I'm running short finger 1 1/8" and run 10-11. Fan needs to be at least 900. But if you are fighting rotor loss it's a mute
Point. I think your rotor speed is in the ballpark. How is your rotor set up?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
dont have the large skip in just the large wire basically a small wire with every other wire removed. the rotor is a large tube with standard threshing elements on it.

I should also mention that having a big problem with small partial unthreshed heads in the sample, we usually run .5%-1% dock this year we are at 2.4% with the vast majority being unthresed heads

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here is our local case guru's starting settings for wheat
Hard thresh Wheat settings
Rotor 950+
Concaves at 5 or less
Presieve at 3 or 4
Top at 15
Bottom at 7
Fan at 900 - 950
Spreader 570 - 600
Start here and adjust accordingly
Concave config
LEFT SIDE RIGHT SIDE
Hard thresh - fine wire
Fine wire. - hard thresh
Slotted grates in rear grate section. (Grates can be changed to large wire modules if you are dealing with tough straw and bad rotor loss.)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Unthrashed is concave clearance and rotor speed, or lower sieve to open
Tighter and faster will be better forsure...

If veins are in slow, I had aseen a quick improvement after...

Try opening preserve to four and increase fan speed....

dont have the large skip in just the large wire basically a small wire with every other wire removed. the rotor is a large tube with standard threshing elements on it.

I should also mention that having a big problem with small partial unthreshed heads in the sample, we usually run .5%-1% dock this year we are at 2.4% with the vast majority being unthresed heads

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its just stupid tough wheat to thrash, concaves at 0 rotor maxed out sample is a little better but losses are still really high, the only way is to slow down or take in less straw which is not really an option. having to travel at 2.4 to achieve even a resemblance of reasonable losses.

Others in the area are talking of similar problems and slow speed, deere 9870 with 36 ft heads 2.8mph big new deere with 45ft head around 3mph etc. not sure of their losses, they say good but that doesn't mean much their idea of good could be horrible or great to me who knows.

So I guess it is just suck it up, but it sure is not fun.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ya I know, few years back I combined hi yielding canola at .8mph, took me over a week to combine 400 ac running most hrs in a day, but selling superbs off the combine for 14 dollars a bu made up for it.... Lots of guys had big canola loses that year from chucking out the back.... Take your time and get it all

1 - 20 of 22 Posts