The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvesting alfalfa seed and would like to know if anyone here could tell me the settings for 2014 s670 in irrigated and dryland alfalfa seed. I have installed 6 concave strips. Also is it normal to have quite a few pods in grain tank sample, and how dirty can sample actually normally be . And is it nessasary to install different bottom sieve like some guys have told me.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
We've also heard conflicting things. According to our pollinators who do a lot of alfalfa themselves, a perforated bottom sieve does help but has its own problems and in their opinion doesn't benefit too much.

We have Case combines and plan to put cover plates on our first modules, and possibly the second modules. So it's possible you need even more concave strips.

I'm pretty sure we'll have the concaves set to 0. Probably we'll recalibrate them and bring them right up until they almost tick on the rub bars. I'm also worried about seed pods ending up in the grain tank. We'll try ours in a few days.

As for the sample, get in contact with your seed rep. I know that Gerard Osterhous thought his sample looked awful and the seed rep complimented him on the clean sample!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Don't know about s series but the rest of the deere from the titans forward to the 9600 needed a round hole pre cleaner and a scraper to clean then every 5 hours or so. Whats in the pods? If they are just chaff then be happy with them. If there is seed in them get them into the tailings system somehow. Roundhouse sieves on the bottom will also need to be scraped once in awhile to clean them and that would be a pain in the new deeres. Make sure they are closing completely and stick with the factory ones I think. I used to deliver the cleanest seed my buyers saw but I didn't make any more money for it. That was with round hole pre cleaner and round hole sieves and a lot of scraping to keep them clean. Don't grow it any more so can't say on the rotary threshing end of things.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its a high dockage crop. I expect almost 20% in mine and have had 35%. Best thing Ive found in a STS is round hole sieve in bottom and air foil in top. A good cleaning plant will have a rethrasher so he will get some of those pods. Too clean and you know where its going(ground). Put all the bands on that you have. Aftermarket concave like sunnybrook help too. Pick a dry day and watch for fire as the dust will self ignite.

Trucking is the easy part!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts