The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wondering what custom combining rates for hemp are running at. I've heard around the $25/acre mark. Is that pretty much in the ball park?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
$25 an acre seems low to me. Harvesting hemp is hard on your combine, specially if it burns down.
You're dead right on all those points.
Hemp is the toughest crop you will ever harvest - especially when it's dry. It WILL wrap on all & every possible piece of rotating equipment on your machine - & did I say it's tough? It's as tough as rope - ironically - to cut off, or pull out of places that you've never even dreamt about.
I have done & would continue to be doing it, on an hourly rate.
You need to be well prepared, & with your machine in an excellent mechanical state to give you piece of mind when harvesting this stuff.
Apart from that - it's an experience.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We tried hemp last year for the first time and harvesting it was the easiest part of the crop for us. Selling it on the other hand now that was a nightmare. We had bacteria in our seed somehow, no one could give us an explanation on where the stuff came from but made it unsuitable for human consumption. So we just sold it for bird food for 30 cents/lb instead of the 75 cents per lb we had contacted. Last year was a perfect storm, large 2013 crop large 2014 crop with mutiple new growers and a large delay on getting the company plant online in time. We were told by others that if supply was short we would had no issues. We never grew any this year and dont plan on growing any in the future. I know there are guys that do it and have had good luck. After dealing with our contracting company we see it is a mickey mouse marketing system they have. If you grow it be prepared to fight for everything and be prepared to sit on it for a while.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
We tried hemp last year for the first time and harvesting it was the easiest part of the crop for us. Selling it on the other hand now that was a nightmare. We had bacteria in our seed somehow, no one could give us an explanation on where the stuff came from but made it unsuitable for human consumption. So we just sold it for bird food for 30 cents/lb instead of the 75 cents per lb we had contacted. Last year was a perfect storm, large 2013 crop large 2014 crop with mutiple new growers and a large delay on getting the company plant online in time. We were told by others that if supply was short we would had no issues. We never grew any this year and dont plan on growing any in the future. I know there are guys that do it and have had good luck. After dealing with our contracting company we see it is a mickey mouse marketing system they have. If you grow it be prepared to fight for everything and be prepared to sit on it for a while.
Sounds very familiar. We had some so long we eventually had to push the bin over and toss it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It really seems like a scheme. They offered to help us out and take it off our hands for bird food for 21 cents. Guaranteed they would be blending it off with good stuff.

Sounds very familiar. We had some so long we eventually had to push the bin over and toss it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts