The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been harvesting mung beans for the last couple of weeks with our Lexion 750 and I am disappointed with the amount of split beans in the sample worst was about 8% before I put round bar aps grates in now I am down to about 6%. This is not good because in the past with the JD STS we could get it down below 1% in good conditions and no worse than 3% in horrible beans ;) mind you this season has its challengers the plant is tall and is still quite ropey yielding up to 2.2t/ha and very low moisture 5-7%. I have been running the feeder house 280, drum between 320-350 any slower and she will choke, concave 12-15 any wider and she chokes plus I am trying to get it all threshed in the aps area, rotors 480-550 and bomb doors closed, top sieve 12 bottom 8, fan about 1150-1200. No repeat much but there is grain in there if I open the sieves up sample becomes dirty if I speed the fan up any more I blow them out the back (TM6 sieves, standard small grain concave, roundbar aps grates). Also having trouble with ropey green stem material getting under the front drum on the feeder house chains, this is tensioning the chains to much and it makes some horrible noises at times :(. PS. I have a mate doing the same sort of crop with his STS and he is having to clean his concaves out a couple of times a day because they plug up :D. Still love my Lexion:cool:

·
Registered
377 Posts
No idea how to help, but that is a good yield. Should make some money out of mungral beans. They are another crop I have been wanting to try and I have heard a lot of bad reports on them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey , i am not familiar with these kind of beans. But to me it seems that you are running the concave to tight. I would try to open it up a bit 15-19mm and speed the drum up a bit . To me it seems that u don`t get an consistant crow flow!Speed up the rotors as well. Did u try to open the bomb doors?

Maybe give it a try!?

cheers and good luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was interesting as far speeds and clearances go seemed as soon as I would open up the concave it would crack more the best sample was with the narrower setting, I started harvesting keeping in mind alot of the setting that I had seen on here for edible beans. There would be even more cracks if I sped up the drum or rotors and if I slowed things down any more she would choke especially if I had my concave any wider. I kept the bomb doors closed because I had no rotor loss at all and thought the sieves didn't need any more material on them. I suppose a lot of my drama is to do with the dryness of the grain making them very suseptable to cracking. Mungbeans are not a bad quick crop up here anyways all you need is a good profile of moisture not to much extreme heat in the flowering and podding period keep on top of disease and insect preasure and if the planets are all a aligned and your standing on one leg rubbing you stomach and patting your head you can end up with a half decent return out of them;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like the trouble I had in high yielding sunflowers. It sounds like the sieves are overloaded with wet material? If so we put rotor covers on all rotor grates except the back 2. It helped tremendously. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Sounds like my first year with our 740. Dry soybeans 5-9% moisture. The new combine with the keystock concave made many more splits than I was happy with. I have since put a roundbar concave in and it has helped.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Seedcleaner I have followed your journey with your 740, I was thinking that maybe next time changing my concave to somthing a bit less aggressive as far as the concave goes to go with our round bar aps grates and maybe going with a harsher aps grate on other grains like wheat ,sorghum to get the same quality of threshing as we get now without having to change the concave every time. Say a round bar concave and aps grates for easy to crack type crops like mung, soya beans and corn, and maybe keystock small grain aps grates and the roundbar concave and maybe even put the threshing segments in to make it aggresive enough if needed, the hardest to thresh crop we do are some wheat varieties and sorghum, chickpeas can be difficult but I think keystock soya bean grates would sort them out any thoughts???.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I will soon find out how the roundbar works in wheat. I am looking forward to the challenge. Between aggressive keystock grates, intensive threshing segment (ITS), preconcave filler plate, and three concave cover strips, I should be able to make it work!

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
Sounds like one of them mongrel years where nothing you do will get it right. A couple of dum things first. Make sure your repeat and clean grain chains are very tight. Maybe your concaves arent level to your drum? They can get out of wack, especially if you are feeding lumps thru now and again. Are you drum bares worn in the middle? thus cracking on the outside bars? Has that machine got aggressive threshing elements fitted between the aps grates and the front of the concave? If so take em out. Iam not sure what the round bar aps grates look like, but corn aps grates would do a good job. Very smooth, but with big holes to let alot of grain thru quick so its not going into the drum. Maybe the aps beater is cracking it because its trying to pull the crop away from the slowed feeder chains?? I would stall stop the header and have a look in every spot you can and you should find what the cause is. Is grain going into the cleaning fan and getting split? It can happen. Worse case you might be able to put screens every where you can to drop the splits on the ground. Loose a tiny bit of yield to not get docked $$$ for the high split %.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been harvesting mung beans for the last couple of weeks with our Lexion 750 and I am disappointed with the amount of split beans in the sample worst was about 8% before I put round bar aps grates in now I am down to about 6%. This is not good because in the past with the JD STS we could get it down below 1% in good conditions and no worse than 3% in horrible beans ;) mind you this season has its challengers the plant is tall and is still quite ropey yielding up to 2.2t/ha and very low moisture 5-7%. I have been running the feeder house 280, drum between 320-350 any slower and she will choke, concave 12-15 any wider and she chokes plus I am trying to get it all threshed in the aps area, rotors 480-550 and bomb doors closed, top sieve 12 bottom 8, fan about 1150-1200. No repeat much but there is grain in there if I open the sieves up sample becomes dirty if I speed the fan up any more I blow them out the back (TM6 sieves, standard small grain concave, roundbar aps grates). Also having trouble with ropey green stem material getting under the front drum on the feeder house chains, this is tensioning the chains to much and it makes some horrible noises at times :(. PS. I have a mate doing the same sort of crop with his STS and he is having to clean his concaves out a couple of times a day because they plug up :D. Still love my Lexion:cool:
Hi. Running a Lexion 570 with 12m midwest front in South Africa on 1.2t/ha mungbeans.

Everything you mentioned is applicable to my sample as well.

Did you manage to get a clean sample with proper grainflow?
Did you make any alterations on the header and what was final settings?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi. Running a Lexion 570 with 12m midwest front in South Africa on 1.2t/ha mungbeans.

Everything you mentioned is applicable to my sample as well.

Did you manage to get a clean sample with proper grainflow?
Did you make any alterations on the header and what was final settings?
A
Aussie,
We feel your frustration! Everything you mention in your post is exactly where we were about 8 years ago with our green stem seed soybeans. We were at 6-8% splits also,below average for that varity for the co. This past year we ran 1-3% splits. Start at the front,we run 40-45ft mcdon headers with slow belt speed for a split flow going in the feeder house,4-5.5 mph, front drum is locked up, feeder house speed 380 to 400rpm,with mcdon you have to run it a little faster. Roundbar aps grates, sunnybrook zero degree angle aps lugs, remove cylinder filler plates or we prefer to run a pfp segmented threshing cylinder. Either a precision farm products or sunnybrooke segmented cylinder. A Roundbar concave with the wedge removed. Now for the very most important part,a sunnybrook impeller!! New wear plates on the nose of the rotors. Settings- you must be able to run your threshing cylinder down at 250-320rpm in beans that dry. The stock lexion impeller simply will not allow it. All your other settings are fine,maybe run your rotors a little faster 600-680 rpm.The lexion rotors will not split grain no matter how fast you run them. Bottom line the sunnybrook impeller first,segmented threshing cylinder next,roundbar concave,zero degree angle aps lugs. The machine will now prrr at 300rpm in nasty greenstem beans. Goodluck! Tiger

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I agree with the recommendations but surprised you suggest adjusting the concave with no pinch point in back. I feel the pinch point is important, but you certainly dont want the concave set tigther than the grain you are harvesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts