The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a stripper front available to try at harvest, a couple of questions.
Does harvesting Peas with a stripper front do a better job than a normal draper front. Has anyone tried harvesting Vetchs with a stripper front.
Any tricks to making these Stripper fronts perform.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A friend of mine ran a stripper last summer in his peas. It did get the job done but the amount of splits was immense. Just to the naked eye there was a definite difference in the quality of the peas when comparing a draper to a stripper. If you harvesting them for feeding cattle then use the stripper and avoid the extra expense of using a draper/auger header. But if your hauling it to the human consumption market you will get thoroughly hosed when go to to deliver them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine ran a stripper last summer in his peas. It did get the job done but the amount of splits was immense. Just to the naked eye there was a definite difference in the quality of the peas when comparing a draper to a stripper. If you harvesting them for feeding cattle then use the stripper and avoid the extra expense of using a draper/auger header. But if your hauling it to the human consumption market you will get thoroughly hosed when go to to deliver them.
Redline, do you think the splitting came from the front or the Combine, I could imagine with very little vine going through the machine damage could be a problem if your not careful.
Were they happy with the front getting all the pods off the vine. We are leaving at least 10% with our draper front! just can't get low enough..
Doc.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Redline, do you think the splitting came from the front or the Combine, I could imagine with very little vine going through the machine damage could be a problem if your not careful.
Perhaps a slower threshing speed could have been used with much of the threshing done at stripper rotor?
Can the stripper header by itself split peas. I don't know, maybe.
I don't think so though.:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Were they happy with the front getting all the pods off the vine. We are leaving at least 10% with our draper front! just can't get low enough..
Doc.
Are you using lifters on your draper head? I am sure you won't get them with a stripper if they are that flat to the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.