The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what other harvest contractors are running their machines on. The 8120 with 45' front i've been running it on $18ac or $425hr, is that roughly what others have been charging. be good to hear others rates and opinion.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There's not a bad thread in the custom harvester section on Aussie contract rates. They all seem pretty expensive to me but then again so is owning a header. Over this side there is much done by dedicated contractors, mostly it's farmers with gear bigger than they need. I haven't looked into what they charge though.

Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just had two different contractors in to give me hand for a couple of days. First was local farmer who had finished his own stuff. 9660sts with 30ft, $350/hr including fuel, doing 30t/hr. (Did one day while I was mucking around doing seed oats then gearbox and rotor parted company). Rang another guy, MF9790 with 36ft, doing 40+t/hr, $450/hr including fuel. Both in 4t/ha wheat crops. Works out around $11.50/t or $18.25/ac for either of them, so your on the money MWQ. I run the chaser and my 2388 beside them.
Stopped by showers last night/today, wont be done by Xmas

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
just wondering what other harvest contractors are running their machines on. The 8120 with 45' front i've been running it on $18ac or $425hr, is that roughly what others have been charging. be good to hear others rates and opinion.
Can you come & work for me with your 8120 & 45' at $425/hr? I can just hire you out & save myself a lot of money!

Your calculator must need to be put in the sun to charge the solar cell/batteries up - 425 doesn't cover the costs. Well, unless you're doing over 600hrs paying hrs/yr, have greater than 50% equity, don't have any R&M, your labour rate is "peace-meal" & own every other ancillary piece of equipment needed to run the business & don't ever expect to replace them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
guy I know was paying $440 + GST + fuel for CR9070 (same as 8120 I think)
No chaser bin, but a rotor hr is a rotor hr I suppose. 3.5 - 4t taking all the straw.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cheap on the hourly rate, I would have thought $18/acre would equate north of $500/hr on that size machine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for your replys. i reken $18+gst+fuel is a fear price for the size and speed of the machine. $450 hr+gst+fuel would be the go but i have never been able to get a hour rate. it's always been acre rate, even when we had the 2388 and R62, thats why i'm a bit out of touch with the hourly rate side.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also the yields where 1.5-2.5 t/ha and was cutting anywhere from 25-40% more stubble then what the yield was as it was frosted wheat.some padocks looked like 3+ t/ha crop and was only going 1.5-1.8.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
also the yields where 1.5-2.5 t/ha and was cutting anywhere from 25-40% more stubble then what the yield was as it was frosted wheat.some padocks looked like 3+ t/ha crop and was only going 1.5-1.8.
Yes, & that is typical of the problems you encounter when working on an acre only basis. Like others have said, with the machine you've got, 18 ++ is equal to at least 550/hr.
Why is it that when you get a mechanic out, you pay them by the hour. You don't pay them by the "spanner hour", you don't pay them by the "descriptive job price" i.e. remove hydro, dissemble, order parts, reassemble, test. Price is a flat rate eg. $18,900 - "...because that's what my neighbour paid..."
You pay them by the hour - clock hour. Not spanner hour, not toolbox hour, not any other type of imaginable hour. It's clock hour. Whether they are using the spanners or talking on their mobile phone - it's clock hour.
Why then, as a professional business i.e. harvesting where you have many, many hundreds of thousands of dollars invested, should you be any different? If the paddock is rough, or as you said, taking in a 25-40% more stubble than should have done for the grain amount - slowing you down, why is that now something that detracts from your efficiency & therefore your rate of income?
If that same mechanic ran into problems in fixing your example hydro, do you think you would gain a "discount" because there was unforeseen problems - I very much doubt it!
I'm saying that for all involved, it's much fairer for everyone if it's done on an hourly basis. I know it's difficult to fathom for some to arrive at an hourly basis estimate of cost, especially when they know they have "8,000 acres" & 8000x18=144,00. Against, how many hours is 8,000 ac going to take? As we all know, that depends on a lot of contributing & detracting factors.
An hourly rate, with an experienced "guestimate" acre rate - if so desired - would be the fairest of all indications of total cost.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well said rod, as a header owner i can't see why you would want to be paid on anything other than per hour. The first thing they want to know when you trade a machine in, how many hours has it done? Pretty simple, it depreciates by the hour, you should be charging out by the hour.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well said rod, as a header owner i can't see why you would want to be paid on anything other than per hour. The first thing they want to know when you trade a machine in, how many hours has it done? Pretty simple, it depreciates by the hour, you should be charging out by the hour.
26 yrs contracting cannot remember acres $50 ph 3t and under,+ $10pt over at normal cutting, taking the lot becomes an agreed price before starting then u need your hrly rate based on costings, not many farmers like hourly rate start thinking they can afford a new machine.then end up contracting at reduced rates to pay for it..why ? these crops in wa and the east are not yielding 3-5 tph to cover their costs

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi! my 8120 40ft front 2cm steer an chopper i charge out at $15.50p/ac an $1 extra per bag over the ton plus fuel an gst in wheat, barley ect. $20 p/ac in peas an beans or $550 p/rotor hour ++. at 450 an rotor hour i wouldnt get out of bed as the cost of the machines and stuff is going up an cant run a machine at that. those prices ive been on for the last 7 years. mate of mine caharges 18+ .50 per bag over the ton.
average over 5000ac this year was 50t/h.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts