The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a few fields with white mold in the soybeans. Not big patches, but very tough running. My combine is a 1440 with a 20' head. My neighbor has a 2388 with a 25 foot head. We have opened the concaves to around 6 and sped up the rotors to around 650-700. However, the beans are going through very tough. The monitor on the 2388 has reached 88 bpa, so we do know we are getting high yeilds and tall bean stalks, but, when we hit a white mold patch, we are slowed to a crawl. the rotors thump, trash balls come out, and I have plugged once. Even when I take 10' with my 1440 I have to crawl at a snails pace.

How and what do we need to do?

Can anyone else with more experience give us advice? We are both pretty new with rotary combines. Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Beans with white mold simply go through tough. End of statement. There is really no way around it that I have ever found except to slow down. Close your concave to about 1 or maybe even less to keep the stalks moving through. With them open as wide as you have them the stalks can rope up in there. The high rotor speed should help. Just go slow and enjoy your high yield. You'll get them done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Move your vanes on the left side over the grates to the fast position.
Speed your rotor up until you start splitting more beans than you like.
You probably have a "conventional" rotor, they hate tough beans. There is a guy that makes "disruptors" that will help stop the roping.
Your neighbor probably has a "specialty" rotor. This rotor style will work better in tough beans.
Keep your concaves closed more than you think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think a higher rotor speed would help. We are combining 65+ bpa beans in tough conditions with a 1460 and 20' head and have the rotor on 850 and concaves at easy thresh. Miraculously we are not throwing any beans over. The pods are breaking open very easily but the stems are really tough.

Are the elephant ears and rasp bars in good shape? Makes a HUGE difference on a standard rotor in tough conditions. I had the Disrupters on my old 1480 and they helped a great deal.

Godspeed,
Trent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try closing the concaves and speeding up.
Please............ any extra opinions are helpfull too.

To reply to some of the comments,

I do have disruptors. They are not in because I was concerned it would take even MORE power to run with them. And, I don't know where to install them. I have not called the Case/IH mechanics about that.

I would imagine my elephant ears are worn down. I really want to do an update when I get ready to replace them, so I'm saving pennies. That's a question for later though. I don't have problems with the rest of the beans, they go through easy and are yielding very well. It's those d**n white mold spots that slow us down. I'm sure the nieghbor's machine is in top notch condition............he's a real farmer......I just play at being one anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts