The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting buying a JD 6620 Titan 2 combine in good shape. However it is a corn machine and my primary crop would be winter wheat. What effort / cost would it entail to convert this to a wheat machine. From what I've read, it appears the chaffer is an issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Very little. Readjust the concave. Set everything to wheat settings. And if you want, replace the deep tooth chaffer with a standard tooth. The deep tooth will work, maybe just not as clean a sample.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If the concave and bars are in good shape you won’t have many issues. You didn’t mention straight cut or swath combining. Error on the size of too small of head

·
Registered
559 Posts
The 7720s had a slower speed beater aswell , I found a pulley for cereals and sped it up , worked ok with corn speed but may have lost a bit of grain in heads when crop was tough, my 7720 must have started life on corn and where I bought it from was doing wheat etc , it had cereal chaffer and concave etc when I bought it , only I ordered new belts that didn't fit I would not have known about beater speed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My first 7720, when I got it home it had a conventional concave, but every other option on the machine was rice. It had the struts welded in for the spike bar concave too. SOmebody took an old rice machine and put a standard concave in it. Then I had to change the beater pulley, etc. It took a lot of work to fix it all up for corn/beans - but once we were done it was a good machine. Had more power than the 7720 T2 I traded it in on.
Rice combines have hard lives, I traded it off because I was afraid the driveline spines were gonna go.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts